Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my punkin out of my 57 today to find all of the bearings are pitted in some form or another, the axle bearings are pitted as well. But my question is when I turn the pinion I feel a tighter spot on the ring gear then it loosens up as I turn then it gets tight again like it is warped. What is going on with that?

This was suppose to be a simple project with a pinion seal replacement when I felt all of the grinding when I was turning the pinion.:confused0006:

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
tight spots

i would find a local mechanic that you trust and have him rebuild the unit. If the bearings are pitted they have probably been in water at some point and need replacement now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I'm going to do it but I absolutely cannot get that cross shaft out that goes thru the spider gears.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
You have to know what your doing, to set up a ring and pinon. In fact an old one is to impossible to reuse. You will put all that money into that assembly, and have a noisy rear end, even if you know how to do it. Best bet is to buy a new set of gears, and have a pro set it up for you. Just know, they are hard to find. :anim_25:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts