Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Do you think its OK to Comsume Liquor at a Car Show or Cruise Night?

• No...I think it should not be allowed

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • Yes...I see no harm in it!

Votes: 62 50.0%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to rant a little and what better a place than among friends..LOL

I started to attend car shows and Cruise Nights when I lived in Maryland. Up there the Summer is Short (OK Shorter than here in San Antonio, TX). So there is always a show every weekend and a Cruise night Most nights of the week. At every event I attended there was a strict rule "NO Liquor, No Beer!" I enjoyed that one rule very much as I have always felt Liquor and Cars do not Mix!! I was President of a Large Car Club and we also had the rule.

Now since I have moved to San Antonio Texas that is one rule that I do not see in Use. I have attended alot of car shows since moving here and at every show and at Cruise Nights I see Liquor being consumed! Now please do not get me wrong I am not a teetotaler, I enjoy a cold ice Beer but just not at a car show! Why is it tolerated here in Texas??? (Again please do not get me wrong I love it here in San Antonio Very much), I just do not lke the idea that its OK to have beer at a car event. All it will take is one instance and the cops will close in fast! I have been to more that a few local shows where Beer has been involved in a dispute because someone drank too much and leans (or sits) on another persons car or has fallen against a car due to too much liquor being consumed.

How many others have seen Beer at a Car event and what is your opinions..am I in the Minority here? Whats your Opinion?:anim_44:

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,371 Posts
It’s a common site in California-
It'd be very unusual to attend a show, and not see beer.
I don't see the problem actually. In fact most all outdoor events, be it car show, street fair, concert or at a race track, there will be beer. - on a warm day, I glad for it :)
It’s there to be consumed by responsible adults while attending the event, definitely not for the drive home.
My friends and I know better than to drink and drive. Maybe I’m naive, but I’ve never witnessed any showboating or careless driving to or from a car show (outside of a bit of "audible tire friction", but I think that’s testosterone and adrenalin, not alcohol.
There are rightfully very serious consequences for DUI's in California.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here in south louisiana it depends where you go. Our club cruise in Houma La. we dont allow alcohol at our cruise nite. But a good bit of the cruises and shows in New Orleans you will have a hard time finding a water but you can any alcoholic beverage you want. I like my cold beer but I dont feel it has a place at a family event. Thats is my opinion on this, Tim

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I haven't seen it a lot around here although I know people will bring it in in their trunk and keep it out of site. The Goodguys show here has had a beer garden but except for the trunk drinking, you don't see it.

I don't have a problem with it if done with restraint.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i enjoy a cold one or two as much as the next guy, and think to each is own. The local show that i frequent does allow it and for the most part everyone behaves. As others have said even when its not allowed it will show up in someones trunk, at least this way it is somewhat regulated.

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
Certainly in some venues this is illegal, and even if it is legal, it can't be allowed to get out of control.

It's potentially a huge liability problem for whoever owns or leases the site.

I've seen several cruise-ins, whatever you want to call them, that met demise over the participants drinking. If there are ever any complaints due to noise, burnouts, etc., if people are drinking too then that's one more negative.

On the other hand, I've been to some events that allow it if everyone behaves. Even some in a restaurant parking lot where the restaurant sells beer. I think in that one they trusted us to be in control because if there was ever a complaint they'd be in big trouble.

It's all relative. I've been to many drag strips over the years that allowed drinking and sold beer. Even turned their heads about the drivers doing it which is dead wrong. And they have car shows (Super Chevy) at some of those that sell beer on the premises.

So...., it's a mixed bag - but it will never go over when it goes over the edge.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have been to a lot of car shows in my 62 years and have never seen anyone drunk or tipsy at one. Not all allow alcohol, but some do, and I don't have a problem with that. Being an insurance agent I would offer to drive someones car home for them or call a cab. I enjoy a cool one where allowed and would use a coozy around children. Always exercise discretion!
John F

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I haven't noticed drinking to be a problem at car shows/cruise-ins in this area but if I don't feel comfortable at any venue for any reason I vote with my feet and leave and don't come back:vroam:Later, Dave

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,539 Posts
iCody I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. Just because someone is drinking a beer doesn't mean they are driving, so to assume that is wrong. If I'm a passenger at the event I'll have a beer, if I'm driving probably not. With that said most car shows around here are all day activities and a beer at noon will not be an issue when I leave at 4.

Now cruise ins can be a bit different, but you didn't allow us to vote on them separately, so I voted as if it was a car show only:party0031:

Randy

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I agree with Randy.. At your local cruises if you are driving you shouldn't be drinking. But if you are at a car show its okay to have a beer or even two at noon. As long you are staying there until atleast 4 or 5 pm.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have seen to much heart break, death, injury from drinking. It always gets out of control for somebody and the results are not good. I vote with my feet.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Beer & Car Events

I go to allot of events in Texas (Native Texan), OK,KY and all the Gulf Coast states and haven't seen an event yet where drinking was a problem. When you get a bunch of Texans and coon-asses together (barbecue & gumbo) your bound to have drinking. If I was someplace and it was a problem then I treat it like a bad tv show (change channels) and probably wouldn't go back. I guess 80% of the time I never drink when at an event. I have seen more of a problem with someone doing unsafe burnouts than anything else at events. I like freedom of choice and not being over regulated.

7,082 Posts
I go to allot of events in Texas (Native Texan), OK,KY and all the Gulf Coast states and haven't seen an event yet where drinking was a problem. When you get a bunch of Texans and coon-asses together (barbecue & gumbo) your bound to have drinking. If I was someplace and it was a problem then I treat it like a bad tv show (change channels) and probably wouldn't go back. I guess 80% of the time I never drink when at an event. I have seen more of a problem with someone doing unsafe burnouts than anything else at events. I like freedom of choice and not being over regulated.

Think Larry said it quite well. A little surprised I take this view, State Trooper Sgt for over 30. When someone tries to tell me I can not do something just because they don't like it, I have a big problem. Have never seen a problem from drinking at a car show, period, been to a few. Last year at GoodGuys at the Speedway, I drank 2 COLD BEERS (that is what every old drunk says). Sure were good. Drove home to Denison several hours later. If I were at an event that drinking was a problem, I Would Leave. If drinking is a problem, let the law enforce it, they should, I did. Freedom founded this country, let's not take any more away from responsible Americans. Let's go jump on the bad guys. That being said, think I'll have a Cold Beer before going to bed. Nite. :):D Lloyd

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Beer & Car Events

Think Larry said it quite well. A little surprised I take this view, State Trooper Sgt for over 30. When someone tries to tell me I can not do something just because they don't like it, I have a big problem. Have never seen a problem from drinking at a car show, period, been to a few. Last year at GoodGuys at the Speedway, I drank 2 COLD BEERS (that is what every old drunk says). Sure were good. Drove home to Denison several hours later. If I were at an event that drinking was a problem, I Would Leave. If drinking is a problem, let the law enforce it, they should, I did. Freedom founded this country, let's not take any more away from responsible Americans. Let's go jump on the bad guys. That being said, think I'll have a Cold Beer before going to bed. Nite. :):D Lloyd
Lloyd, I am previous law enforcement, now insurance agency partner. Boy do I remember, how much you had to drink, Oooo just a couple officer:eek::confused0006: nobody ever had a 6 or 12 pack.........

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,539 Posts
Larry that is so true, it was either none or 2 at the most. Only once did I have this one guy tell me he drank a case, he was right too, couldn't even stand up!

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Beer & Car Events

Larry that is so true, it was either none or 2 at the most. Only once did I have this one guy tell me he drank a case, he was right too, couldn't even stand up!

Randy
I had a SMALL number of my DWI's tell me they had quiet a few and for those if I could follow them a SHORT distance home we did that and for those that weren't a short distance away I got somebody to get them and the vehicle home. This was only for the calm ones that had said they had quiet a few. This was for the honest DWI's and if no children were in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
Everybody has an opinion I'm sure. How do you feel if your Tri-5 (or classic) is damaged in any way by someone with beer on their breath? At the Chattanooga World of Wheels, you can get drunk but you can't smoke. ?????????????????

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No Beer

I'm from the Bible belt of the South, and, being raised in alcohol, I have NEVER seen anything good come from drinking. There are other ways to get refreshed, and we have TOO much invested in these classics for someone with a beer in his hand to do damage to our cars. Guess you know which way I voted! God bless and give it some serious thought before you pop that top. Charles :wavey: p.s. Check out my grandkids and think about the influance on them if I should have a beer in my hands.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts