Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and Ladies,
Just a quick question since I am new at this restoration stuff...
I have seen many '57 cars online that state they are Bel Airs but they have the short crown molding on the fin. They even have the Bel Air script on the aluminum insert. My question is... did the Bel Air come with a short crown molding? or is there some misrepresentation afoot?
Also I have a '57 210, would it be out of the wrong (I don't want to offend '57ers) for me to use the aluminum insert with a Chevrolet script? I am not trying to make anyone believe it is a Bel Air... it is just that I like the aluminum insert cosmetically, same goes for the hub caps with spinners.
Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If it has a short crown molding on the fin, there's a 99.9% chance it is a 210. Bel Airs always came with the full length molding with no exceptions.

As for you doing the stainless insert, do what you like to your car. There aren't any snobs to worry about in this community when it comes to things like that (for the most part). Just don't make a shorty or Bel-Camino.... :sign0020:

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
The only sure way to tell is by the VIN. If it has an "A" before the year it is a 150 model. If a "B" it is a 210 model. And if it has a "C" it is a Bel Air.

And no, no Bel Airs came with short crown molding.
Terry

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
Also I have a '57 210, would it be out of the wrong (I don't want to offend '57ers) for me to use the aluminum insert with a Chevrolet script? I am not trying to make anyone believe it is a Bel Air... it is just that I like the aluminum insert cosmetically,
Jeff personally i see nothing wrong with it as long as someone isn`t trying to pass the additions off as real.
Terry

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree with everyone else, :) if they are short it is not a Balair. As for the additions.. Do what ever makes you happy. At the end of the day that is what counts. Haters gonna hate, that is just the way of the world. If someone gripes at you for it, more often than not they don't own one. My Favorite saying to people like that is " REALLY, what does YOUR tri five have on it?" Normally shuts them down really quick as they walk back to that mini van. :) Good luck with it and have fun...

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
it's your car, put the inserts on if you like them jeff. I like them too, go for it. :tu

·
Registered
774 Posts
Also,I have a '57 210, would it be out of the wrong for me to use the aluminum insert with a Chevrolet script? I am not trying to make anyone believe it is a Bel Air... it is just that I like the aluminum insert cosmetically, same goes for the hub caps with spinners.
Thanks

Jeff
I don't think anyone minds a mild custom! I actually prefer the painted insert on the two-tone 210, but I think the aluminium insert would look nice on a single colour 210. I have gold Chevrolet scripts on my 210, and no one's gone mad at me for that!

As for the hubcap spinners, they were optional on all models.

Geoff

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Bel Airs always came with the full length molding with no exceptions. 210's come with the short ones. The one am driveing is a 210. I seen cars at car show that have put the inserts in but they were a 210.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
If the VIN starts with B57 or VB57 then it is a 2100 series, no matter what it is dressed up like. This should only matter to a purist

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Rear mounted antennae was an accessory installed by the dealer. You could get an electrically operated one on one rear quarter and even a dummy one to match on the other quarter. I have no idea if the hole in your quarter is for the dealer installed antenna or an aftermarket one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts