Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new to the site. I have a 55 wagon that has been in the family since 1960, I am starting the body makeover. I am trying to remove the trim pieces to start with ..the long SS arrows and window pieces on the sides. I accessed inside the doors and the retainer clips resemble pinch clip retainers..do these unscrew or pinch and exit thru the door steel to the outside? Also, the screws at the end pieces are rust tight...any ideas that would minimize stripping? Thanks for the first of many posts to come...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I used a torch to heat the screws red. they came right out working them back and forth. I was repainting every thing, so scorching the paint a little wasn't a big deal. the clips on the middle of the molding snap in. squeeze the tabs to release.:wavey:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got started

OK, so you were right on with the side moulding removal..but what about those high pieces between the top of the window and the end of the door frame? There is no rear access to the retainer clips even with the door felt channel removed. How is that small strip..of which there is alot all the way around the car..removed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, I do not have that model so not an "expert" but much of the trim on my car was removed by my old tool I made and have used for years. Take a 2 inch putty knife with a good rigid and thin blade. Cut a vee with a cut off wheel about half inch at the end of the blade reducing to the thickness of the cut off wheel about one inch towards the handle. This will allow you get under the trim, find the trim fastner and squeeze the fastner to release it. Some trim fastners have to be twisted to released and this tool will work for that if you add a quarter inch staight cut about one eight inch wide as a slot to turn the fasterner. (at the end of the vee). Hope this works for you. Regards, Steve

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
OK, so you were right on with the side moulding removal..but what about those high pieces between the top of the window and the end of the door frame? There is no rear access to the retainer clips even with the door felt channel removed. How is that small strip..of which there is alot all the way around the car..removed?
Hatesuserid has it right, I have an old stiff 1 1/2 inch putty knife that I use to remove the beltline trim on a station wagon. I start at the rear and slip the puty knife under the bottom edge of the trim and lift and pry it up, You will break some of the clips but most will come out in one piece. Go slowly and fuss with it some and it will come off. The top window trim has a different type of clip than the bottom trim, but they both come off pretty much the same way.
Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give it a try tomorrow. I was able to get a putty knife blade underneath the trim but I was afraid to pry too hard and risk bending the trim. i really don't want to break any clips if I can help it. We'll see how it goes with better light in the morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...not much easier. The clips are similar to the lower clips in that they pinch from inside the door to release. I was able to get about 4 done, but it was a struggle for about 1 1/2 hours. I can get putty knife blades underneath the trim from the bottom but once the "fangs" from the clips engage on the inside of the door they won't budge. If they break are these easy replacement parts?

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
...not much easier. The clips are similar to the lower clips in that they pinch from inside the door to release. I was able to get about 4 done, but it was a struggle for about 1 1/2 hours. I can get putty knife blades underneath the trim from the bottom but once the "fangs" from the clips engage on the inside of the door they won't budge. If they break are these easy replacement parts?
You should be able to replace them. Once you go to all the trouble to that the chrome off. You may want new clips anyway. Check this Link.
http://www.classicchevy.com/1955-57-210-2-door-wagon-upper-lower-beltline-clip-set.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
clips

Thanks for the reply, however none of the clips in that package resemble any of the clips on my Bel Air. Maybe they are an upgrade, but to install the top trim strip there is no access from inside my door, so they must be a spring type. The ones in the pic all appear to be screw type from the inside.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Thanks for the reply, however none of the clips in that package resemble any of the clips on my Bel Air. Maybe they are an upgrade, but to install the top trim strip there is no access from inside my door, so they must be a spring type. The ones in the pic all appear to be screw type from the inside.
I Know I seen the some were. I keep looking.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I bet that Restoration Specialties will have something that you can use to replace them. I have no connection with them. But I bought from them and seen them at the Auto Fair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway for years.
Call at 814-467-9842, 814-467-9282
Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm EST
web site
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2009 Catalog ebook/2009 Catalog ebook.pdf

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
frustration

Reaching my wits end. These upper trim retainer clips are slowing my progress to a standstill. Short of bending/damaging the trim these clips are extremely difficult. No magic tool I've found will release them...scraper/putty knife/small screwdriver/trim removal tool.....etc. Somebody help this job progress...I hate to paint this car with moulding still on it.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Reaching my wits end. These upper trim retainer clips are slowing my progress to a standstill. Short of bending/damaging the trim these clips are extremely difficult. No magic tool I've found will release them...scraper/putty knife/small screwdriver/trim removal tool.....etc. Somebody help this job progress...I hate to paint this car with moulding still on it.
I can relate, but I can also tell you that I just removed two of them last week with a putty knife I started at the rear end, by the lift gate and used a combination of lifting/twisting the trim with one hand while prying with the putty knife, one clip at a time, moving from the rear to the front, It came off without damage, so it can be done. You might try squirting a little wd-40 or something behind the clips to help them slip? Thats about all I can think of to suggest
Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts