Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen the little wire clips that hold the Belair dash center trim on? I never came across this until this car. They are little wire clips that clip into the aluminum trim and snap into little oval holes stamped in the dash. See the photos. The little holed are punched / stamped in the dash. You can see on the trim where the dark spots are is where the clips were. Of course, I lost the clips.

I have never seen a dash with the center clips/holes before. It was a radio delete Belair, so maybe the clips were there because of that, but I doubt it. There are also holes and clips on each end pieces too.

The car is an early 55, (3rd week November 1954) Maybe something they quit early on??? I don't suppose anyone has these clips?

Automotive exterior Tints and shades Auto part Vehicle door Metal

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I dont think they were ever used.....I had a 55 like yours....took the dash trim off and to my surprise they were also there like yours.....with Nothing there....no clips no nothing.......

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine actually had the clips. You can see on the trim the places they were located. Mine are in a baggie somewhere probably never to be seen by human eyes again..:(

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,426 Posts
You must have had the unicorn. I have been intimate with about 10 early 55 B/A's and none of them had any evidence of clips. One dash had the holes in the ends, but none in the center section.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks similar, but I am going from a memory. It is hard to judge how big those are. I might have to order one for .50 at probably $10.00 shipping to see.

I have had the unicorn before. Remember when I had the early 55 wagon that had the small diameter glove box light hole, and the metal tack strips retainers along the cargo area plywood floor to tack the wheel well vinyl to? I still have the tack strip retainers here in the scrap pile. That one also had offset side trim clips front to back.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
One dash had the holes in the ends, but none in the center section.
The RHD dash that was put into my converted ’57 had those dash trim end holes – don’t know if it was off a ’55, ’56 or ’57 though.

EDIT: Have since learned this would have been from a RHD '57, since the firewall is unique to that year ... but the dashes as the same for all.

Also, even though these were 210 CKD cars here (Australia) they still had the Bel Air dash trim.

Photo c. 1986 – Nomadawhat (Des) on the tools there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts