Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 56 six banger bell housing mounted to a stock 3 speed on floor mount to a pre 86 SBC?

Can you use the stock front and rear mounts or do you have to go with side mounts and crossmember? Right now the stock 3 sp and rear are staying. I could go to a 350 TH though.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Not sure of the fit of the bellhousing/trans fit, but if I was going to go to a SBC with much hp I would opt for the 350 TH, I think if my money was right I would even go for the 700r4 O/D trans (stock 3spd will not take much thrashing, tried that with a mild 283 blew out 2 stock trans). I would definitely recommend the side mounts and crossmember as I believe there are some clearance issues with the stock front mounts and some of the later model SBC dampeners.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
If your putting other than stock why not get a scatter shield housing for a trifive. I don't think that the 6 cyl bell housing has the same bolt pattern as the V8. I've seen trifive bell hsgs at the swapmeets.
Dave

·
Registered
468 Posts
you would need to get a V-8 bell housing from a 55-57 if you want to use the stock mounts. If you opt for a later year cast iron of aluminum you will have to go with side mounts and a crossmember. If you check out the classified there is a scattershield and clutch assembly for sale there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would need to get a V-8 bell housing from a 55-57 if you want to use the stock mounts. If you opt for a later year cast iron of aluminum you will have to go with side mounts and a crossmember. If you check out the classified there is a scattershield and clutch assembly for sale there.

Part of the shifter assembly bolts to the bellhousing. I thought I might get it done quickly just switching engines knowing I probably couldn't. Most people I've talked to say the bellhousing won't match up. I don't have time to order or fabricate parts.

I'll just have to go to Daytona as a six banger with attitude. I still get to go to Daytona right.

Thanks for all the responses. Great forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts