Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Saginaw

• Use the front and bellhousing mounts/A saginaw 4 speed will fit

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • use the 3/4" forward & transmission mounts/A saginaw 4 sp.will not work w/an original bellhousing

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I sent $100 to a guy in California for a set of 3/4" forward motor mounts and a transmission mount.Yesterday a member called & can get me a 55-57 bellhousing for $50 and will deliver it to me here in Port orange.
Since I have the bellhousing horns on the frame & this method doesnt require any welding,should I just use the bellhousing and front mounts and sell the mounts for what I have in em($100)??

Is there a difference in the 6 cylinder bellhousing & one from a V8?If so what are the differences?
Will a Saginaw 4 speed fit in an original 55,6,7 bellhousing or is the tranny hole different?

Should I wait until I can find someone to weld the 3/4" forward motor and the tranny mount?? I dont really want to wait because I want to drive it.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
The 6 cylinder bellhousing has the starter mounted in it and the V8 starter is mounted to the block. I don't know if the 6 cylinder bellhousing will work on a V8 because of this. I'm sure in a little while someone who knows for sure will chime in and let you know.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
The stock V8 bellhousing also has the starter mounted to it.

The 6 and V8 bellhousings are not interchangeable because the bolt pattern on the rear of the engine is different. But, the same mounts to the frame are used.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
A sagie 4 speed will fit a stock V-8 or I-6 bellhousing fine. I personally see no need for 3/4 foward mounts ever being invented, not enough foward for a BBC and why does a SBC need to go foward with all of todays dist, options,
I have had a Turbo 350 in my 56 with CCI adaptor side mounts for 15 years no issues. Use stock V8 mounts & bell. and go.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I use the stock V8 mounts along with the bell housing mounts and a trans support. Some say overkill on the trans support but the speed shop that built the trans said to use it so I do. He's the guy who has to stand behind the tranny guarantee.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts