Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 two door sadan that was a 150 I'm going back with 210 molding has anybody ever drills holes in the door:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, mine was originally a 150 and did not come with the belt molding. I never had any holes, but with my two tone colors, I have to have the belt molding on there. I am wanting to make sure that when I drill, it is in the correct spots. I am not real sure about where to put these holes and I heard that the holes had to be oval. I don't know how I am going to make an oval hole. Any help would be appreciated.
003_small.jpg

004_small.jpg

005_small.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Beltline trim holes

quote:[Yes, mine was originally a 150 and did not come with the belt molding. I never had any holes, but with my two tone colors, I have to have the belt molding on there. I am wanting to make sure that when I drill, it is in the correct spots. I am not real sure about where to put these holes and I heard that the holes had to be oval. I don't know how I am going to make an oval hole. Any help would be appreciated.]end quote

Your problem is less than mine was. A previous owner had welded all the holes shut so there was lots of weld junk and wires and warpage. Your's being a 150 makes it easy.

First of all, the factory had clips which required oval holes. While those clips are now reproduced I think the other type of clips (first type of replacement clips) will be much easier. So step one is to buy a set of the belt molding replacement clips. You also need the belt line moldings which are not reproduced.

The door is pretty straight forward so let me explain the quarter panel installation. As a reference, use a tape measure hooked to the B pillar and measuring back mark 1", 9", 17", 25" and on the driver side 31 7/8". On the passenger side mark the same except for the last hole which is 32 1/8". The critical measurements are the start and finish holes. That's because you need to be able to put a nut on those clips and tighten through a hole which was created for that purpose. (you will need to have the inside upholstery panel off to do this job).

Use the lower bend line along the top of the quarter (that is the one which is between the quarter curve and the first vertical step up). This will be your vertical reference line for drilling the end holes. The end holes should be 3/16th" size and start the hole 9/16th " from that bottom bend. Then use the same bit to elongate down maybe another 1/8" to allow a little adjustment. Doing one side first, do the other end hole.

Now, taking the end clips, install them on the quarter trim, put them on and put the nuts on from the back after setting the trim on. Tighten finger tight and check the position of the trim (looking at the end of the trim you can see where there is a notch to go over the top of the step). The bottom should touch at or near to the curved part of the quarter. Holding the trim down (there is usually more curvature than there should be, tighten the two nuts. I then used 1/4" tape (see picture) to outline where the top of the trim is.
You could use a sharpie but tape is easier to move around if you need to adjust.

Remove the trim and mark the vertical measurement for the three clips that the trim will snap on to. This should nominally be 7/16" from the bottom bend line. However, because the trim curve isn't exact, use the tape line to adjust that hole so all holes are the same amount from the tape. The clips have a little vertical adjustment room but if you mess up, the hole could be redrilled nearby the first one you drilled (it's not critical just where it is horizontally).
These holes are 1/8" and are for the sheet metal screws provided.

When done, try mounting it all and snapping it in place. Then you can tighten the end nuts.

The doors are much easier. Now that you have the quarter trim on, place the door trim on and line it up with the quarter trim. A small hole is needed at each end in the fold of the door skin, then you can figure the other trim clip holes.

I'm sure this sounds difficult but once you start working it you'll hopefully be able to follow these steps.

P.S. If you don't have the belt line trim yet send me a PM and we can discuss. I bought an extra set which is dent free.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thermo nuclear device needed

Is there any device/bit/drill that will remove the countersunk screws that attach belair stainless around a 2 door hardtop side windows trim. Most of these wont move and the lay waste to a drill bit in short order. also tried the reverse back-out bits.......No better.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts