Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me, I'm a newb and may not use the correct terminology.

Been working off and on with my 57 HT. So, I discover that it has been wrecked at some point on the left front. The frame is slightly bent/tweaked on that side, such that the place where the bumper mounts is not aligned correctly (it didn't have bumpers on it when I bought it - they came with it but were removed). I also found some welding on the frame right about where the front of the left control arms mount.

So, am I screwed? I want to do the car right and have been going back and forth in my head about using the stock frame (with mods) versus just buying an aftermarket frame.

I'll try to get some pics.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Pics will help us determine the location and the severity and ease your pain.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I also found some welding on the frame right about where the front of the left control arms mount.
Are you talking about in front or behind the A-arms? There was some welding visible on the frame from the factory. Is it a 1pc. frame or a 2pc. frame? On a 1 pc frame it almost looks like the frame was wrecked and repaired right behind the A-arms. How about some pics of the area you are talking about
Terry

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Not jumping to conclusions here, just wanted to say there are lots of good used original frames for sale. You don't only need to consider an after market or modified frame.

Don

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking about in front or behind the A-arms? There was some welding visible on the frame from the factory. Is it a 1pc. frame or a 2pc. frame? On a 1 pc frame it almost looks like the frame was wrecked and repaired right behind the A-arms. How about some pics of the area you are talking about
Terry
It's a 2 piece frame and its just right where the A-arm mounts toward the front of the frame. The welding on the left side does not match the right side. It's the left side that the bumper mount is obviously bent.

It'll be next weekend before I can upload some pics.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not jumping to conclusions here, just wanted to say there are lots of good used original frames for sale. You don't only need to consider an after market or modified frame.
Thanks for that. Any ballpark on an original frame? $500? $1000?

Anything special I need to ask about for a frame? I know the convertibles are different. Any frame difference between 2door HT and others? Any differences between years?

I'm wondering could I do a test body fit on another original frame then just store up the body, etc, while I worked on the frame? I have a 2 car garage, but the wife is not giving up her side ;) Is a test body fit required? Better safe than sorry?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for that. Any ballpark on an original frame? $500? $1000?

I'm wondering could I do a test body fit on another original frame then just store up the body, etc, while I worked on the frame? I have a 2 car garage, but the wife is not giving up her side ;) Is a test body fit required? Better safe than sorry?
Do a simple check. Measure the diagonal from one corner back to front. Compare this to the measurement for the other corners. Be very exact on the same points and the measurement. If the are the same, the frame should be OK. You can also do this on sections, such as the rear mounting holes to the firewall mounting hole centers to check each section's alignment (again, always check on a diagonal).

Stock chassis - $500 to $1000 is the range, sometimes a rolling chassis can be found for the same price. Look for a 55 HT or Sedan, not a truck or wagon. Most chassis can be repaired. I would suggest you figure out what you want to do with the suspension and drivetrain then compare this to the modification (and cost) you will need to do to the frame (unless it's a stock restoration). Aftermarket chassis only can run about $6K. There are folks that will modify your existing chassis for C4 upgrades, etc., for less.

Test fit should not be required but it's always good check to how everything fits on the chassis you will be using before you get too far into the build.

I have a 2 car garage and have the body on a cart to move it around. I'm going from memory, but I think you need 16 feet to clear the chassis in the garage, so make sure you have enough length in the garage for the wife to get around to her side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts