Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my custom bucket seats and will be covering large pieces of plastic trim and Masonite with vinyl. What is best glue to use?

I also need to paint some plastic parts such as seat control knobs and small plastic trims. What is best spray paint to use for plastic to match '57 factory red vinyl color?

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
I see the guy at the restaurants treating tears and rips in vinyl booths with a glue. Assume Weldwood I do not really know. I look the next time I'm in and they look great . Mike

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used 3M spray contact on larger pieces ( laying the piece to be covered on back side of the vinyl, the way it would be gluing on and marked the edges on the back side of vinyl w/ a pencil as a guide to where to lay it , trimmed the vinyl down to allow for the edges to wrap before spraying. Spray both sides to be joined. Worked great. For smaller pieces I used liquid contact cement on both sides to be joined. let it set up before joining the two together. When you join them together be sure you have it where you want because you can't move it after you start putting it together, it's STUCK.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Do I need to use a primer or what about adhesion promoter?
No. Just make sure the surface is free of grease and i like to scuff it so it grips good. Get some of the Weldwood glue from a local upholstery shop, it is made for vinyl tops and headliners.
Terry

·
Registered
967 Posts
I agree with Ronald, I've used 3m spray and has he said, get a good grease/dirt cleaner and wipe it down the spray. once it sets up (in seconds), it's stuck. forgot who said it, but Duplicolor has a spray paint for plastics. works well.
p.s. clean it first also.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would go to a upholstery supply shop if you have one near you. Be careful, the Weldwood glue that you can buy at Lowe's is not worth 2 cents. I used it to glue two panel boards together and they are not sticking. When I worked in a customizing shop we used the same glue that is used to apply laminate to wood for counter tops.
Charlie

Here is the panels I was trying to glue and they all were coming apart like this.
https://www.facebook.com/214078481937849/photos/pb.214078481937849.-2207520000.1447420995./919032674775756/?type=3&theater

1 - 10 of 10 Posts