Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo brains trust, hope all are happy and healthy. SO- a tri five chev has a forehead almost as big as mine so I imagine they are prime real estate for stone chips. Any suggestions on best paint for that area? Is self healing tech up there yet?

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
10,416 Posts
Self healing tech ain’t there yet. But whenever you paint it, make sure you have at least a pint left over to use as color match. You can have a clear plastic layer put over the front, but those never last all that long.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I’ve had good luck with clear covers. Even if it’s replaced every so often, likely a viable alternative to repainting it. Not tried it on a tri five, but don’t see why it wouldn’t work

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had good luck with the 3M brand of Clear Bra for my daily driver, and it's been 6 years now. However, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my 57. The one thing I didn't like about the Clear Bra was that they removed all wax before applying it to the paint. My fear is that the paint can still oxidize underneath the clear film.

So right now I'm thinking a conventional vinyl/leather bra for highway driving. If that wiggles or flaps too much I'll have to re-think it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
After my experience with my 2007 Corvette clear coat I decided I need to get something little tougher. I wound up putting a clear bra on this particular vehicle ,not bad but not great. After calling around and speaking to some people that were knowledgeable I was introduced to a clear coat used on bottom of jet aircraft to prevent Stone chipping I used this clear coat on my 55 that you see in my avatar . Three months after I painted the car I dropped a chrome Sears timing light on the front fender. it dented the fender but it didn't chip. I called it AG 2000
Polyester clear coat are generally more chip-resistant and usually sold as a anti-graffiti paint they are usually more chip resistant then your acrylics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts