Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my front disc brakes. Please look at photo and let me know if this is the best placement of front braided line at caliper. It seems like it might rub on the tire there......

I'm thinking an option might be to go behind spindle....but I'm sure there's ONE best way...please let me know so I can button this up today!

Thanks

Ace

Attachments

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I'll have to second that..most cars you see the calipers are behind the wheels..are you sure you dont have the lefts and rights crossed?

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
Some are made to go on the front, but I'd put them on the back given a choice, and with some kits there is a choice.

No way would I route the hose as you have. The tire can rub on it. Get it behind the spindle and below the control arm.

If you swap the brackets side to side, be sure to make sure the bleeders are up when you're done, which will require swapping the calipers too.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No. On this kit, the instructions are real clear that the calipers are mounted on opposite side of steering arm. I just swiveled the banjo bolt a wee bit down behind the caliper and it brought it down toward center of wheel behind brackets. Clearance is good. I'll keep an eye on it Rick, and re-route if necessary...but I think it's good.

I just took it our for a test drive. HOLY SMOKES what a difference in braking!!! No more pulling to one side, and really stops well compared to the drums. Not as good as a power set up of course, but I'm real pleased with the outcome. I'm going to upgrade rear drums to ceramic shoes and larger wheel cylinders (kit...forget name of company at the moment) and automatic adjusters for final upgrade.

I did a revese bleed with an EZE Bleeder (syringe type $20 including shipping) and then did a convention one man bleed with the mini bottle/magnet set up. I got a real firm peddle immediately and the whole project only took me about 10 hours!:eek:
But that's okay, I learned alot about the brakes, and doing this myself means I can maintain it myself too...good experience for me.

Ace

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
That's good to hear Ace! I have been piddling around with my install for two months now and still have more to do. Removed the radiator yesterday so I could install the new lines under the front of the engine easier. I have other things clouding my time so only work on it once in a while.

Glad your's is done.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Don...my lines ran behind the front cross member, so I didnt' need to pull the radiator. BUT, now that you've pulled it, think of the sweet things you can do....you can move it into the 6 cylinder position it you want, add a fan shroud easily, etc....

Ace

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that my "prebent" prop valve line for front brakes finally came from Ecklers. It was on back order. I was able to make it fit with a little persuasion. Definitely a clearner look.....here are before and after pictures. I simply couldn't make the tight turns on that short little line myself, and still have room for the double flare tool!!

Ace

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, I got to lookin' at that brake line and had to agree with you. I moved it behind spindle and below control arm...it's got lots of space in there...can't understand why I didn't see that while I was installing it the first time.

what a mess....man I hate brake fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts