Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys and gals.......... I have a stock 235 want some sound from her what is the best way to get a little sound but not the whimp sound of todays six's? I have a dual set up and pipes were split right below the stock exhaust............ Want some sound these aftermarket mufflers purr like a kitten. want more .............. I plan to run both pipes all the way back and drop down below the bumper.......... What you think..straight all:rolleyes: the way or what to get sound?

:confused0006::rolleyes::confused0006:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
The old school way used alot in the 50's and 60's was to run a split manifold with dual glass pack's or the smithy's by patriot. My father used to tell me about this set up when i was a kid he said it was popular when he was young. He tried to discribe the sound and i didn't get it untill years later i new a guy that did that set up on a 52 chevy hard top with the original six, and it sounded very uniqe nothing like any six banger i ever heard. Then i knew what my dad was talking about, you have to hear it to know.Use the longer mufflers, not the short for a much better tone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a 235 with a dual shorty tube header (2.25 out) to an x-pipe (converting 2.25 in to 2.5 out) to Dynomax Ultra Flow, dual 2.5 in and dual 2.5 out. I ran the pipes on the driver's side.

It had a good tone; however, I didn't have any insulation on the floor and it did get a bit loud in the interior. You can also look at using a cherry bomb (the one with no baffling) or traditional dual glasspac (my favorite sound).

I also built a fuel injection system for the 235 using the Clifford 6=8 intake, replacing the 4 barrel carb with a throttle body and had a local shop bung the intake and install a fuel rail.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Speedway has just what you need to make a six "growl"...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/216-235-261-Chevy-6-Headers,5863.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy-6-Cylinder-Fenton-Headers,6906.html?parentDisplayId=5863

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Smithys-Glass-Pack-Muffler,1703.html?parentDisplayId=5863

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chrome-Echo-Can-Tips,1717.html?parentDisplayId=1703

There is a guy here that shows his '50 Chevy pu with a 261 six that uses the top AHC coated headers, Smithy's, the longer ones, straight pipes from the mufflers turned out in front of the rear fenders with the echo can tips... it really sounds good gives that ol' six a definite "growl".
I love the sound of a straight six with duals

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Duals with 12" glass packs,,growler!!. Not so loud would be 18"s, then 24"s for even less.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Best sound from the 235 is when you hear the cherry picker rolling across the floor!! :)
Later
BobH

BTW the way my 235 was a fine running machine..

·
Registered
25 Posts
The easy way is to get a set of headers, but that won't get you the sound you're after. Headers have a hollow, tinny sound to my ear. What I used to do is take the original manifold off, and working through the outlet, braze in a baffle to separate the front three cylinders from the back three.
This is kind of like amateur gynecology, but it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to block most of the exhaust gasses from mingling.
Then, you cut a hole in the side of the manifold you've sealed off, and braze a flange from another manifold over the hole. This braze job needs to be very good or you'll get exhaust leak sounds that you DON'T want. Reinstall the manifold, hook up the pipes and you're ready to go.
If you go through all this, you'll swear you never want to do it again, but you will have the famous sound.
Also, if you do this, post a clip of it running so all us old-timers can hear it, 'cause I swear I'll never do it again. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
S&S...Split and Smithy's

·
Registered
718 Posts
The easy way is to get a set of headers, but that won't get you the sound you're after. Headers have a hollow, tinny sound to my ear. What I used to do is take the original manifold off, and working through the outlet, braze in a baffle to separate the front three cylinders from the back three.
This is kind of like amateur gynecology, but it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to block most of the exhaust gasses from mingling.
Then, you cut a hole in the side of the manifold you've sealed off, and braze a flange from another manifold over the hole.QUOTE]

Did that back in the 50's. Welding is better than the brazing but need to let it all cool by itself so it doesn't crack or warp. The baffle I did fit very closely and I drilled a 1/4" hole in it which took a little sharpness out of the sound. Just perfect until the brazed joint broke and it had to be replaced with a weld. Can't beat that sound.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I had a 3-3 split on my 49 chevy 216, it sounded good. I have also heard of 4-2 splits for a different sound altogether. Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts