Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a th350 in the garage I am thinking of installing behind my stock 350. I have the same set up in my Chevelle. My wife and I plan on do alot of cruising in the BA when we have it on the road and I'm used to having at least 4 speeds in our vehicles.
What is the best tranny for cruising? we are in the drive train and suspension phase now with the car and The th350 was what I had already. If mpg and reliability is better with something else I would like to know

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
I have a th350 in the garage I am thinking of installing behind my stock 350. I have the same set up in my Chevelle. My wife and I plan on do alot of cruising in the BA when we have it on the road and I'm used to having at least 4 speeds in our vehicles.
What is the best tranny for cruising? we are in the drive train and suspension phase now with the car and The th350 was what I had already. If mpg and reliability is better with something else I would like to know

Thanks
and I'm used to having at least 4 speeds in our vehicles.
Dave

u just answered the question for me, 4 speed :party0031:

·
Registered
66,301 Posts
have a 350-350 in my 56. have a 700r4, 327 in my 55. 700r4 is much nicer for driving. :party0031:

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
For cruising a 700R4 4 speed auto is hard to beat..great low gear with the overdrive 4th. The 86 and newer models are 30 spline input and are built a little beefier:)

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I had a TH400 behind my 327 for years with no problems... Three years ago Converted to 700R and wish I had done it before:happy0030:Later, Dave

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dave, if you want an automatic, I would also vote for the 700R4. It is also important to pick the correct rear axle ratio for your tire size.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the best(cheapest ) way to go as far as buying a 700r4 tranny? buying a used one from a junk yard and having it rebuilt or straight from a trans shop?
Then do I need to get a different drive shaft?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
YOu can probably do it either way...........I watch craigslist for core 700R4......I've got one now that was $20.00, from an 86 Z28.........guy said it sometimes didn't go into overdrive. Most shops probably have them laying around, too. The most important thing to do is tell your builder what you will be using it for........they'll build it that way for you. The TV cable is extremely important, set right, you're fine.......set wrong, it'll burn up pretty quickly. You will probably need to shorten the drive shaft 3 inches........unless you've got the longer tail on your TH350.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts