Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any good ideas or places a person can go to sell the finished car? I am 98% done just finishing with the little details and will be selling when finished and moving on to another project. This car has pretty much anything and everything you could put on one of these except a blower. Very Quick, UNBELIEVABLE torque and clean as a whistle. Drives like a dream and runs great. so looking to maximize what I get for it. I have attached a pic of the finished cooling rad/panels to give an idea of the caliber of work. Notice the stainless steel panels, they are custom fabricated. This is a rare color combo and looks fantastic. Coral and Shadow Grey

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow checked out that Mecum site. i thought they charged more for their fees, it may be the way to go. Would just need to figure out where and which auction would be best, then how to get it there

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well the question eveyone want (almost), what are you looking to get out of it? And all the other responses are great also there is Barrett Jackson, but that takes a lot of stamina in the wallet. Good luck:sign0020:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what I will be asking as I have to get it appraised. My mechanic is having someone come in that does international appraisals to do it ( mechanic figures it is worth upwards of 60k but I am not sure of that). Once he appraises it (not insurance but real world appraisal) I will set the price accordingly. The engine has about 600 miles on it and the restore has about 7,000 since it was started. Everything is straight, original metal and no accidents I am third owner and the previous owner had it for 23 years

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
mechanic figures it is worth upwards of 60k
You better have a whole bunch more car there for $60+K...

Figure out what YOU want to get, put it on ebay with a Buy It Now price and see what happens. A whole lot cheaper than Mecum.

Good luck,
Charlie

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Hemmings

Put an ad in Hemmings. Craigslist gets a bunch of low-ballers and tire kickers. And be prepared to wait a long time for the right person to come along with a big pile of money. Expensive cars don't sell over night.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
ebay would be a good place to start (got mine from ebay). I have sold a few on craig's list, but none of them were in that price range. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just looked over your pictures of the car and I'm thinking your mechanic has no idea of real world Trifive values if he's saying 60K?

At 60 grand one can buy a car with modernized tubular front suspension, reworked rear end with spring upgrades, smoothed firewalls, mini tubs, big fancy wheels, killer paint, and big brake kits with something more than a stock master cylinder. Not trying to break your bubble but I see a 30K car and nothing more?

Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I have had good luck selling on craigslist. It's free to advertise. I've sold a 57 Fuelie convertible, 55 Blown Sedan Delivery and many daily drivers. I even sold a friend's 56 T-Bird that was shipped to Switzerland.

My suggestion is to take a lot of digital pictures and especially if you have some defects (paint scratches, etc). Take pictures of everything; engine compartment, interior, trunk, all sides of the car and especially, the underside. I try to be honest in presenting a car. There are many definitions of the word "immaculate" or "rust free". The one I like most is the car is "all original" when clearly the engine/interior/paint/wheels have been changed.

On a car that's selling for $60k you will have to be extremely patient. It's not your everyday type of car. You'll be surprised how many collectors are viewing craigslist. The price alone will weed out your average tire kickers.

Good luck on the sale.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was actually thinking it would be more like 40-45. I figured he was high but will wait on an appraisal. Also the pictures don't show all the upgrades I have done already such as full chrome Master and power disc brakes much more polished pieces etc... The original frame is excellent with no rust or breaks and a tubular suspension is only about 5-600 so I don't think that really put's the value up that much. As far as tubbing it out that would actually decrease the value It has 6 custom rims that the pics don't do justice with big tires. The rear suspension has been re-worked to fit the large tires without tubbing it out ,A lot of this car is original except for the drive-train and some safety upgrades and it is unbelievable the shape the original is in.

Hey Double Nickle where do you live in Alberta? I am moving my mother from Brandon Man to Calgary early July . If you live in Calgary would love to see your car. That's an awesome job you did !!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Finished Car

I hate to break your bubble but you have a very nice looking(from what can be seen in your photos)20-30K '55 Chevy I suspect you have paid to have most or all of the work done which puts your investment more than the market will bear. After looking at your photos I do not see many mechanical upgrades such as brakes, steering, wipers, and no AC. Again I am not being nasty or running your car down but it what is. I hope your get the price you will be asking. You probably think I am a jerk but I have been messing with these cars for 30 years and do all of my own work I am an idea of what it up. True you see SOME cars sell for prices a lot higher than they should. This comes from the people in our "I want it now generation". This is not (I believe) good for our hobby which we all like so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest I have no idea what I will be asking, I do think my mechanic is being a little aggressive in what he thinks it is worth . The brakes are being done next week, I did not mention also that it has a Marine Block in it that is worth about twice what a regular block is and is alot stronger engine. I will only be asking whatever the appraiser says is the "real world " value. What I am trying to find out here is the best place to get the max bucks. Is there websites that you can advertize overseas in Europe? I have heard and read that these are REAL popular over there.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Many of the cars sent to Europe and Australia are bought through eBay. You can list that you'll sell overseas on eBay and state you'll work with shipper if the buyer has one lined up from the East Coast if you can get it to them. My advice is to take lots of detailed pictures showing the major upgrades done to the car. Chrome doesn't make it worth anything no matter how much you've put on it, but tubular suspension, big brakes, custom exhaust and options like air, cruise, tilt, and power windows/locks will. Also helps to have some history on the car and pics of when it was restored so everything is disclosed. Take shots of the under carriage, body brace, wheel wells, fender returns etc, and make sure it's real clean to have your best shot at bringing top dollar. Last thing is also to list it here in the classifieds or cars-on-line as well. Set a fair market value, figure out your bottom line and start with a higher price. As it's often said...you can always work down, but you can never go up.

Good luck on the sale.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Daredog ...it is a Marine blocked 454 that puts out about 575 hp. Turbo 400 trans with B&M Shift kit, shifter and line-lock. 355 posi 12 bolt rear end I also have the 411 gears to go with it but the car is INSANE with those in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.