Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, whats the best way to get the 3 studs out of an exhaust manifold? Looks like they have been there since '72 and two are almost rusted (?) into or heat (?) damaged. :confused0006:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heat them cherry red with a torch and turn them out with a visegrip ... when they start to cool reheat to cherry red. Don't turn if they lose color ... Joe

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,354 Posts
Mickey....When you put it back together, use the brass nuts....So they won't rust.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I use a couple of nuts backed into each other, soak it good with a rust buster and try that first, then to the heat and visegrips, but I heat the manifold not the stud. Heating the stud doesn't sound right. IMO

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I wasn't so lucky when I worked on my 210 4-door Sedan back in the 1980s. I had to remove the manifolds and milled the remainder of the broken studs out.

(luckily my girlfriend at the time father owned his own machine shop that I used many times)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm with Rwhit, I would try something to break up the rust first. If you aren't in a hurry, shoot it with PB blaster for a couple of days, and let it seep in. I think you would be happy with the results.

JMO...
KK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts