Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought pro street 1955 BelAir with a 427 cu.in. , I was given no info as to the motor on what it has in it. I have no problems with the the car as it runs great . It has a Elderbrock 750 with a Victour Jr intake , turbo 400 and 373 posi. I change the plugs a couple weeks back and they look good, my question is I would like to adjust the valves , it has a hydrulic lifters with a pretty good cam in it but not real radical . It has been some time since I adjusted the valves , so as I remenber you adjust them at top dead center at zero lash then turn a 1/4 turn and lock down the adjustment. What feeler gauge do I use to adjust at zero lash then turn 1/4 turn ?. I adjust them by the fireing order 18436572 , it has been some time since I have done this so any help would be helpful on any tips to do the job right. Do I adj the with no gap with a 0 gauge then turn a 1/4 turn ? I also guess the timming is 15 degrees at 2000 rpm , it has a mechanical advance dist. My best guess is it is a 1969 427 - 425 hp . Any help would be greatfuly helpfull .

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
I know this isn't the answer you are looking for , Why would you adjust the valves if it is running good.

Otis

·
Registered
131 Posts
big block

you can ajust the valves at each cylinder several ways 0 lash is what you are looking for no need for a feeler gauge at top dead centre you ajust the valve down until no play between the rocker and the valve top do not over tighen as this is bad on the cam and lifters once you have 0 lash then ajust 1/4 turn down then repete the next cylinder and so on i follow the firing order as not to forget any cylinders this is best done when the motor is hot there is another way almost the same the difference is that you set the intake valve when the exhaust is open and then set exhaust valve when the intake is open this makes sure that the valve is on the back of the cam so that you get max of setting the valve this is also done one cylinder at a time it is more time comsuming but is a better way either way is accepitble lastly there is always the hot method but it is messy but i dont't go there any more
thank hope this helps
bowtieblue57:blowtiedb:

·
Administrator
67,951 Posts
Just wanted to say wheres the pics, anyway I`m with Otis on this one if it aint broke dont mess with it :anim_25:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can ajust the valves at each cylinder several ways 0 lash is what you are looking for no need for a feeler gauge at top dead centre you ajust the valve down until no play between the rocker and the valve top do not over tighen as this is bad on the cam and lifters once you have 0 lash then ajust 1/4 turn down then repete the next cylinder and so on i follow the firing order as not to forget any cylinders this is best done when the motor is hot there is another way almost the same the difference is that you set the intake valve when the exhaust is open and then set exhaust valve when the intake is open this makes sure that the valve is on the back of the cam so that you get max of setting the valve this is also done one cylinder at a time it is more time comsuming but is a better way either way is accepitble lastly there is always the hot method but it is messy but i dont't go there any more
thank hope this helps
bowtieblue57:blowtiedb:
Thank you bowtieblue 57 , your info help me a lot and refresh my memorie, I will follow you instructions with the one valve open and adj the other . I will put a little heat in the motor first . Again thank you for the info.
MAC101010

1 - 5 of 5 Posts