Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is ther anyone out there that has built a Big block 55 with a 6spd that has big tube headers And tilt coloum and rack and pinion? Im new to TriFives and would LOVE some HELP!!! Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Is ther anyone out there that has built a Big block 55 with a 6spd that has big tube headers And tilt coloum and rack and pinion? Im new to TriFives and would LOVE some HELP!!! Thank you very much!!!
There are numerous guys here with a big block in there Trifive.
What is your specific question?
Also welcome to the site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BBC Install???

Should I buy a "sunk firewall -4inch" ? Or should i move the motor forward? If i move the motor fwd can i still run a rack? I have to run tall valve covers because of the rockers. I know i have more questions but i just got home from work and my brain is fried!!! Thank you soo much!!!!!! And thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Should I buy a "sunk firewall -4inch" ? Or should i move the motor forward? If i move the motor fwd can i still run a rack? I have to run tall valve covers because of the rockers. I know i have more questions but i just got home from work and my brain is fried!!! Thank you soo much!!!!!! And thanks for the warm welcome!
Replacing the firewall is time consuming but it sure looks nice when it is done.
Mine took a couple of months. If it is recessed four inches then it will cause a problem for the factory fit AC unit from Vintage Air or Classic Air.
A smaller evaporator would be necessary.

Most guys are moving the engine forward, yet this causes a different set fabrication factors such as fuel pump hitting crossmember, radiator moved to six cylinder position and no longer using bell housing mounts.
Installation of the six speeed would require some transmission tunnel mods also and you should read this recent post on six speed transmissions.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29502&highlight=speed

If you install power brakes you will be limited to a dual 7 inch booster with tall valve covers on your big block.
Someone else will need to address the rack and pinion questions. Most guys are installing the CPP 500 steering box now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55-5...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mine is not all together yet, but this is what I have so far:

I'm going with a 454 in my 57, I'm using the BBC side mounts from CCI, this will move the engine forward 2 1/4 inches... now there is enough room for tall Vcovers and no firewall mods.

I decided to use a holley fuel pump mounted in the rear of the car, so not to have issues with the block mounted type.

I have big headers...2 inch primaries to 3 inch collectors, these are also from CCI, I looked at many, I really liked the way they tuck up into the frame and don't hang down for all to see.

I don't have the rack and pinion unit yet, with the components I have so far, headers and side mounts, I will look seriously at the r + p from CCI, as they have scienced out there stuff to work together and not cause clearance problems.

So far so good, I will relocate the rad to the 6 cyl. position and install an aluminum cross flow unit, been looking at the PRC unit. Shue has one on here and they are a sharp looking unit. You can check out his build... search for the WHoooo Hooooo thread.

I will probably need to come up with a drive-shaft when the time comes, but I have also swapped the rear to a narrowed 12 bolt, so I anticipated a new drive-shaft anyway. Just not there yet, dang this stuff is expensive. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Gil

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Mine is not all together yet, but this is what I have so far:

I'm going with a 454 in my 57, I'm using the BBC side mounts from CCI, this will move the engine forward 2 1/4 inches... now there is enough room for tall Vcovers and no firewall mods.

I decided to use a holley fuel pump mounted in the rear of the car, so not to have issues with the block mounted type.

I have big headers...2 inch primaries to 3 inch collectors, these are also from CCI, I looked at many, I really liked the way they tuck up into the frame and don't hang down for all to see.

I don't have the rack and pinion unit yet, with the components I have so far, headers and side mounts, I will look seriously at the r + p from CCI, as they have scienced out there stuff to work together and not cause clearance problems.

So far so good, I will relocate the rad to the 6 cyl. position and install an aluminum cross flow unit, been looking at the PRC unit. Shue has one on here and they are a sharp looking unit. You can check out his build... search for the WHoooo Hooooo thread.

I will probably need to come up with a drive-shaft when the time comes, but I have also swapped the rear to a narrowed 12 bolt, so I anticipated a new drive-shaft anyway. Just not there yet, dang this stuff is expensive. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Gil
I used these mounts on my 55 with a big eldebrock mech. fuel pump. and a CCP PS box. I bought Alt & PS brackets for a BBC 67 Camaro from Ricks.

Found a stock driveshaft that fit because my Dana 60 has a longer pinion than stock GM stuff.

I would never consider a rack on this big of car now that the CCP box is out.

·
Registered
37,799 Posts
57-Geez, there is a current thread over at chevytalk.com called "CPP500" that has some frame pics of a CPP500 box with a BBC and headers.

The problem with the rack and BBC is that it's difficult to get the steering shaft past the headers correctly. Because of the variables in engine placement, etc., it's difficult to successfully copy what someone else did unless you have the same exact situation. So you are kind of on your own. With the 500 box things are a bit more straightforward, but you may have some variables there too. The photos are of a car done in Earle Williams' shop using his engine mounts and headers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have 502 Ramjet and TKO 600, rack & pinion, moved the engine 2 1/4" forward and needed to change the oil pan and moove the radiator in the 6 syl position. Big tube headers are also installed and a 7" brake booster.

Hope this will help you make your decition. Pls, contact me if need the part # used.

·
Registered
421 Posts
nice job ragtop ,is that the CCI kit looks like a pretty clean install.are the headers tucked up in the frame or do they slightly lower,and how is the oil pan to rack cross member clearance looks pretty close in pictures, just curios my buddy is looking at that kit for his car i don't have the time to make the mounts like i did for my car,just looking for a bolt in unit and he wants a rack and pinion.again looks very nice,bet you can't wait to fire it up.:tu

·
Registered
84 Posts
nice job ragtop ,is that the CCI kit looks like a pretty clean install.are the headers tucked up in the frame or do they slightly lower,and how is the oil pan to rack cross member clearance looks pretty close in pictures, just curios my buddy is looking at that kit for his car i don't have the time to make the mounts like i did for my car,just looking for a bolt in unit and he wants a rack and pinion.again looks very nice,bet you can't wait to fire it up.:tu
It's enough clearance between the oil pan and cross member, the picture is lying a bit...

The headers tucked up nice in the frame

Mock up

Transport to the painter

At the Paint shop

Back from the painter

Engine Back In, looking good now :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bib Block 55 easy

1st a 57 has a lot more room, my friend has a 8-71 /468 and he had no issues. The issues that I had are as follows. I 1st installed a 427 and wanted to run 2 1/8 in Super Comp headers. To do that you had to use forward/front engine mount. I installed them and the engine. The left headers would not fit because of the 605 gear box. I cut a portion out of the header and welded it, (better than denting the tube in and restricting it right). I added Rack and Pinion; “ah” what they don’t tell you is the rack is only for SBC. I had to cut 4 in off the left side mount and add it to the right side mount. Then I had to change the rod end because they were not long enough now. I had to move the center of the firewall back two inches, because the tall valve would not come off and the distributor was against the firewall and I could not adjust the timing. Of course this made the heater and defroster not mount properly and I cut adjustedthat issue. I really did not like the looks of the headers now, so I removed them and went with Scholfield Shorty headers and they worked much better. In my friends 57, he could mount his MSD and other stuff on/in the fender well, 55 Chevy’s do not have that area, so everything thing has to mount on the firewall and it gets ugly fast. I first installed a super T10, with big tube headers you “will have issues” with the clutch rod mount from engine to frame. Mine measured dead center of tube. That is why I went with a turbo 400 w/3400 stall. I used a 9.8 deck engine, if you decide to go with a tall deck “oh ****. Off course everybody has different issues and solutions. You just have to do what you’re happy with. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to EVERYONE with your help, advice, derection....You fellas are AWSOME!!!! This is hands down the best 55-56-57 forum around!!! I cant wait till its my turn to help anyone of you guys!!!::happy0030:

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
I have a 57 chevy 454, 3/4 forward and had a r&p and it was a pain from day one, no room, No room and yes no room. Sure you can modify or get really tight hugger headers etc, But trust me if you have a big block you want a little room to work on things like starters etc without having to redo everything.

As far as the dip stick that is only the start wait till you start driving and need to make repairs.

So I took out the r&p and gave it away, went to a cpp 500 box, and life is good. Here is an install post I made . The cpp gave me back the feel of the road etc. I now have plenty of room.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46806

Otis:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts