Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered at some time but here it goes. I'm going to replace my SBC with a BBC. The side motor mounts that move the motor forward, will it also cause the tranny to move forward ? I really don't want to modify the firewall or cut the drive shaft. Also I want to install an aftermarket rear. What are you guys using, good or bad ? Moser, Strange, Currie ?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I'm sure this has been covered at some time but here it goes. I'm going to replace my SBC with a BBC. The side motor mounts that move the motor forward, will it also cause the tranny to move forward ?
Thanks
Mark
The Engine and Transmission are bolted together so yes the trans will move forward with the engine...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
All reputable names. I own a F**d 9" "banjo" rear end. I plan on using Strange gears and axles with a Detroit TruTrac differential. Ford's, although known for their strength and ease of gear changes, are heavier than a Chevy 12-bolt. The Dana 60 rears are known for their strength and low cost but...are substancialy heavier than the ford or the Chevy. All the companies you mentioned make available these rears. It's a matter of preference and money. Lot's of good info on all these choices via the internet. Happy shopping!

55fazzi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Engine and Transmission are bolted together so yes the trans will move forward with the engine...
I was not sure if by using the side mounts and the BBC being longer it would keep the tranny in it's org location or it would also be moved forward.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Been a long long time since I've done a big-small block swap but as I remember the distance from the mounts to the back of the block are the same... The difference is from the mount to the front of the block...
Also if you have the side transmission mounts you'll need to remove them and use a rear crossmember unless someone makes a mount to move them forward...

But I have been wrong before and could be this time too... when I get to the shop today I'll measure a couple engines to be sure. The first thing to go is the memory...

·
Registered
527 Posts
As Fazzi says, all three you name are great companies for a rear. I have a 9"
F--d rear that a company called Quick Performance made. It was less money and they way it came shipped was not as flashy, but Im happy. I picked moser 31 spline, which were custom cut and sent to me direct from Moser. The third member and housing came from QP. I have a Detroit Locker posi and 3.70's. I had them cut it about 1 1/4 overall less than the original. Gave me a little more room and I still have 1/2 from the leaf.

Yes, your tranny will move forward, but your new rear's third member may be 3/4" further out than your stocker. It may just work out. Goodluck.

Phil...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts