Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 502 in a 1955 Belair hardtop I was wondering if anyone as done this trying to find a lower radiator hose to fit the water pump is 2 inch and the radiator is 1/3/4 I would prefer to not build one anybody out there have any ideas besides using flex hose thanks

· Administrator & Tech Articles
55,987 Posts
I have this info on file from one of our members:

Hi Pops . Just thought I’d let you know what ended up working for me In case someone else asks . #20416 Gates for the upper and #20957 Gatesfor the lower . They both had to be cut of course . BTW I tried that Danchuk shroud and could not get It to work for me . Its a nice piece , but with the BB and long pump It just wont fit without making an abortion out of It . Guess I’m going to try w/o a shroud and see how the temp Is when I get It running

Thanks again for your help sir .

· Registered
2,614 Posts
You didn't mention your radiator or where it comes out. I have a BeCool which comes out at the lower right (pass) side.

I used two different hoses and put them together. I had the "Corvette" water pump which sounds like the same thing on yours....a 2 inch W/P and 1 3/4 radiator. Bottom hose (two hoses together) GATES 20601 or Continental 60677 together with GATES 20345 / AC Delco 24000L I used a stainless radiator hose connector and the heat shrink clamps. I slid it together tight and shrunk it up. It's a good fit and not too noticeable.

I looked at a bunch of different hoses and found a few that were close, except the different end sizes. I have had hoses with the bushing at the radiator blow off before so I was not wanting that possibility again.

If you come up with something, let me know.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
When I first put a 454 in my '55 with the engine in stock location, Desert Cooler radiator in 6-cylinder location, Danchuk plastic shroud, declutching mechanical fan, and LWP ('70s suburban) I used a NAPA #7694 lower hose. It is a hose with just a 90 degree bend. Hose was cut short on the radiator end. I believe both ends are the same. Also, the getting the hose and clamp on the radiator with the shroud must be dome from below. When it goes back together it will have a SWP as well as all '65-'68 deep groove pulleys and a '66 idler pulley set up to balance the belt loads on the water pump pulley since the alternator is hanging off the driver's side with the SWP set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts