Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replace my TH-400 with a TCI Super Street Fighter. I changed the rubber transmission mount and big block engine mounts with polyurethane mounts. The bolts holes in the frame welded brackets will not lineup with the poly motor mounts. The bolts will not go all the way through. I could probably get closer by moving the tail of the transmission around a bit because the bolt holes for the transmission are oblong. I'm afraid of misaligning the transmission, engine, driveshaft geometry and perhaps cracking something. How much room can you move the transmount without messing something up. It seems I remember the previous owner telling me that he moved the motor about 3/8 of an inch toward the passenger side for clearance purposes.
John

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
to the top

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have had to wiggle things around quite a bit quite often. If you can move the tail shaft around to get the motor mount bolts in then get the trans mount in - you will have a preload in the mounts - but with poly or rubber you are not putting any real force or wedge into the chassis. keep in mind though that the mounts themselves may no last as long this way - and with a "bind" like this the rubber would last longer being softer. You would have to move the tailshaft a lot more than two inches before you put the u-joints in a bad way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Doughboy, I am with Mr. Bishop on this one. Your problem is not moving the tranny and putting the driveline in a bind, you have at least 3 degrees of deflection side to side. But if and thats a big "IF" there is a problem it is going to be pre-loading the tranny mount. It would be better I think to modify the mount itself in some way to avoid this pre-load. Then again the worst case scenrio is you would have to replace a mount every so often, and thats worst case.

Roland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.