Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't know if this post is a little late but I have a L71 427 in my 57. I have the BBC motor mount from the CCI. It moves the motor foward 2 1/2 inches and saves any damage to the fire wall. I have a deluxe heater in my 57 and run and 700R trans and there is plenty of room for the fill tube behind the block. I also run disk brakes and the 7" vacume for the master just clears the stock chrome valve covers on driver side. I have the Headers by Headman that the club sold. It clears the stock steering box and the 605 box. The stock oil pan works fine. I did have a droped drag link, that has since been removed in lu of a rack and pinion. You have to add a rear trans mount. which gives you 3 points of engine mount, You will never tear a motor mount!! The kit comes with front and rear engine mounts. The rear mount uses the bolts on the Transmission and the stock rear motor mounts on the chassie. With the motor moved up you have to run a radiator in the 6 cyl position in fornt of the radiator bar. If you want to run a rack and pinion there is a few more thing you have to do. I have the CCI rack on mine. Ive had my BBC in since 95.

1,544 Posts
I bought a stock 454 today out of a 70s dually. What all is involved in a big block swap into a 55? Is there going to be oil pan clearance trouble? Will stock exhaust manifolds work with factory steering box? When I bought the car, it had a new set of side motor mounts still in the box.Will they work on a 454? I am wanting to get the car running and moveable, so budget is tight as to I have to redo brakes and fuel system also.Is there any such thing as INEXPENSIVE headers for a 55 with a 454? I have had a few 55s in the past but never a big block.Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Dan
Check your e-mail for some tech articles.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Sorry guys I'm not able to post the articles on here but will respond to any request for info(tech article) covering the last 30 years, basically you will be reading my magazines.
Bob
Bob, I hate to pile on--but I would be very grateful if you would send me the articles also! I have now owned my '55 hardtop for 5 full days. It's time to get busy!

Thanks so much.

Jay

·
Registered
40 Posts
BIG BLOCK 55

Dan,
I am building a 55 post. I have installed a 454, and Tremec TKO 500.
I will start off by saying that very few parts that I have come across have worked as advertised. I did not alter my Firewall in anyway other than to smooth it out. I ordered a total of 3 sets of motor mounts. I was not happy with any of them. I ended up using 1 set and modifying them to fit. According to all of my measurements there is on way that 3/4" foward will work. The problem is that the pass side valve cover will not clear. My engine is 1-1/4" foward. Hence having to modify the mounts. Even at 1-1/4"
foward I still canot run tall valve covers. I did not want to move foward any more because i felt it may affect the handling of the car. (too much front end weight) After the engine was set where it needed to go the next problem was the headers. Now i added another problem with the fact that i wanted to use the stock clutch linkage. I personaly don't like the hydraulic set ups. I not saying that you should not use one, but I know several people that have had problems with them. I just wanted to keep everything simple.
The stock linkage is bullet proof and simple. Now finding a set of headers that would clear the clutch linkage and a 605 steering box proved to be quite a task. I ended up using a shorty set form Street and Performance. Also you will need a different oil pan if you stay with the stock steering linkage. The drag link will not clear the oil pan. both Melodon and Moroso make one that will work. I don't know how you are wanting to set you car up, but I would happy to talk to you In more detail. I will E-mail you my phone number if you want to talk about my expeirences.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good ole' possum catcher!!

If memory serves me correctly I used 2" forward side mount, moroso "possum catcher" oil pan, and a short water pump..Mounted an aluminum radiator in the 6 cylinder position and an after market tranny mount. Weld the motor mounts and the tranny mounts in place!! If a bolt will hold it a bead of weld has to be better!!! When you order the short pump go ahead an order the pulleys, you'll never find them for a short pump!! The tall valve covers and big body distrubators will work fine!! The manifold's might work but when ordering headers make sure you tell them the engine is moved forward that much!!! I could be wrong, but I think they was 2" mounts, I'll have to get in my paper work and find out for sure!!! Anyone know if they offer 2" forward mounts??? Everything clears perfectly!!! Installed fenderwell headers so dont know how chassis headers would fit!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Install articles attn. Viper 57

Viper 57, do you suppose you could email those install articles to me also. I'd appreciate greatly Kris.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I pulled the 350 and installed a 454/Muncie in my '55 Nomad using the stock bell housing mounts and fabricating some adapters for the front mounts. I installed the engine & bell housing to the stock rear mounts to position the engine. I centered the front of the engine, blocked it to the front crossmember to load the suspension (to check level at carb) and bolted the stock front mounts into the original 6 cyl mounting holes in the frame. I then made some adapter plates between the threaded holes in the front of the engine to the stock metal V8 mounts. Used 3/4" thick plates approx 2" wide by 3" tall and drilled to match the holes in the front of the engine. Then counterbored with a bigger drill bit so a socket head capscrew could be used to secure the plates to the engine and not protrude past the surface of the adapter plate. I then match marked the hole positions for the stock metal mounts. Drilled and tapped those holes for 3/8" bolts. The harmonic balancer just clears the crossmember. The HEI clears the firewall with no denting. The clutch linkage aligns because the stock system bolts to the bell housing. Valve covers clear everything, although on the passenger side the battery box will probably have to be removed to remove the valve cover. I bought a set of headers for a BBC into a '55 and they cleared with no denting. I do not remember what brand but I think I got them from Summit. #5 tube is very close to the steering box and probably should be dimpled slightly. Steering clears stock pan. Stock fuel pump clears, but had to bend inlet fitting up just enough to get rubber hose on.

I did this about 15 years ago----before I knew about all the problems associated with this engine swap.
Do you have any pictures of the front mounts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finally learned how to post pictures. These were taken about a year ago and car has been sitting for about 15 years. Too much work and other projects. Pulled it out of the barn last fall and got it "driveable". That is, it will start and I can move it around as I need to.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I enjoy pics of barn finds and old work.:tu

1,544 Posts
Bob

Please post those tech articles here for everyone if it's ok, I know a lot of people would be interested, just please make sure to give the proper credit to the writers of the Tech Articles.

Thanks Otis
Otis: I just ran across this old post and if you send me your e-mail address I'll send you the articles and you can post them if you want.
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I enjoy pics of barn finds and old work.:tu
Me too! When I bought my '55 150 from a friend back in 1983, he had once had a junkyard 409/TH 350 setup in it. He just "dimpled" the firewall, made a sign post tranny crossmember and used the stock front mounts in the 6 cyl position. Even with the bone stock junkyard 409, it had pretty impressive performance. He sold it to me with a 262 out of a Monza and I yanked that thing out in short order. The 355/M21 4spd setup I put in it broke, on different occasions, the front motor mounts, the sign post crossmember and the pinion gear on the stock 3.55 third member. When the front mounts broke, it dropped the finned aluminum oil pan on the front crossmember and punched a hole it, oil everywhere! Fortunately I had immediately shut it down so the motor didn't suffer. I globbed the **** out of it with permatex blue and jury rigged front mounts to get it home. I added a heavy strap from a front A-arm mounting bolt to one of the front head bolt holes and never had THAT problem again.

Ah the good old days of budget street rodding...

Back on topic, I am planning to shove a 572 crate motor into "Aunt Bea" so I have to decide how I want to mount it and how to get the exhaust out of there.

Henry

·
Registered
220 Posts
hey fellas i dropped a 454 in my 55 this past autumn, i used 3/4 forward side mounts, moved the radiator in front of the support bar. i'm using sanderson headers. so far the only major problem i've come into is the oil pan not clearing the r/p setup, so i.ve had to modify the oil pan and get a different pick up. they sell some pans that look like they might fit but at $300 and up and still a lot of things left on the to do list, i thought i'd give my fabbing skills a try. so far it's comig out ok although its a bit crude looking, i.ll get some photos up at some point. the motor is out of an 85 silverado, with the 3/4 forward mounts, the valve covers cleared and even the stock hei cap cleared. one other note, with the headers i have i'll have to remove the stock bell housing mounts but that isnt a problem if you use a crossmember for the trans like some of the guys mentioned before.

·
12,256 Posts
with the 3/4 forward mounts, the valve covers cleared and even the stock hei cap cleared.
Is that with a stock, unmodified firewall? I am not surprised the HEI cleared, but I'm surprised the heads and valve covers cleared. I once had a 427 in my Nomad moved forward 1/2" and still had to do considerable "massaging" of the firewall.

·
Registered
220 Posts
yup stock as the day she left the factory, well minus some grommets, wiring, ect. at some point i'll get to smootin the firewall, gotta get everything mocked up first though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Todd:

After reading all of the mount placement scenarios, mine may a little deeper of a hole. I'm gonna' try to shove a 1125 horse full roller blown Brodix motor with extra tall covers. I'm not worried about the firewall, but am sweatin' bullets over the master cylinder. I have already built the motor and it's hangin' on the stand but my '55 hasn't gotten to Ca. yet. Am just finishing up a '56 pickup for my wife with a 600 horse 496 and 2-4's. There is a LOT to be said about under-floor Corvette master cylinders.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It seems everyone has questions about big blocks into 55-57's.Mounts,headers,oil pans,ect.In the late 70's I put a 325H.P. 396 big block into my 56' 150 busines coupe. All I did was use a Hurst front saddle mount and their frame mounts, a set of Hedman Headers, and "massaged'' the firewall for clearence at the rear of the valve covers. Also had to dimple one header tube close to the steering box. Could'nt run tall valve covers though. Wanted to us roller rockers but could'nt use the required tall valve covers so wound up using Moroso's saddle rocker conversion that turned out to be F**d Boss 302 rockers I think. Used the stock V-8 bellhousing and clutch assembly and a Muncie 4-speed with Hurst shifter.Also used the stock rear and promptly broke the stock 3.55 gears. Slipped in a 5.38 positraction 3rd member and never had any more trouble and this was a street car.Later put in a race prepped aluminum Powerglide and 68 Camaro 12 bolt with 5.38 gears on a Moroso Brute Strenth positraction to bracket race the car.Had to really sand bag the car as it did'nt have a roll bar. Finally blew the motor completely apart and sold the car as I was building a front engined dragster. Wish I had that car still to this day. As it was a business coupe I called the car Strictly Business. The only problem with the swap to big block was that on full turn of the steering wheel the drag link would just "touch" the oil pan. I thought it was a straight forward and easy swap I did by myself and at the time I had limited tools, space, and experience. So my advice is to just do it and don't sweat the little things and keept it simple. Butch
Butch
Is the Hurst front saddle mount still available......if so where can it be purchased?
I just finished reading a '66 Car Craft that featured a 396 install in a '57 Chevy and mentioned the Hurst part.

·
Registered
474 Posts
hey fellas i dropped a 454 in my 55 this past autumn, i used 3/4 forward side mounts, moved the radiator in front of the support bar. i'm using sanderson headers. so far the only major problem i've come into is the oil pan not clearing the r/p setup, so i.ve had to modify the oil pan and get a different pick up. they sell some pans that look like they might fit but at $300 and up and still a lot of things left on the to do list, i thought i'd give my fabbing skills a try. so far it's comig out ok although its a bit crude looking, i.ll get some photos up at some point. the motor is out of an 85 silverado, with the 3/4 forward mounts, the valve covers cleared and even the stock hei cap cleared. one other note, with the headers i have i'll have to remove the stock bell housing mounts but that isnt a problem if you use a crossmember for the trans like some of the guys mentioned before.
Do you have part number and vendor where you purchased the motor mounts?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts