Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found a couple of posts referencing the 'big E' in the ACC area of some cowl tags as being an anomaly, with at least one reference suggesting it was attributed to the Kansas City plant. A friend of mine brought this up in a discussion about his tag and asked if I was familiar with it. I was not until reading the posts mentioned . Also, his question echoed some comments in those posts about it signifying the addition of EZI glass.

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Artifact

His car did originally have EZI glass, and as can be noted it is a KC car. So is this just anecdotal evidence, or has anyone found anything more definitive about it? Also, along with the Big E issue was a comment on the Trim and Paint code numbers as being stamped with a larger tool - an issue obviously at play here.

And while on the subject of paint and trim codes, I understand a Bel Air sedan with a two-tone paint scheme might have the division only between the roof (including the side window surrounds) and the hood/trunk/side panels, rather than what I what I think of as the traditional roof/trunk/upper quarters? The car that belongs to this tag had a #612 India Ivory top and Regal Turquoise hood/trunk/fenders/quarters. Is there supposed to be some indication that may be on the tag for this layout that I don't see on the example above (or, for that matter, noted in the Danchuk reference material) ? Or were the different two-tone schemes not specified on the tag - perhaps only on the build order?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,599 Posts
I have tags in my inventory that are just like this from Kansas City. Why they used a larger font on the stamping is not known. The large E is usually for the tinted glass. As to the placement of the colors,
that can usually be determined by when in the production run the car was built. Early B/A's sedans were mostly roof only, but by the end of production most all were the "traditional" way. Only the convertibles
and hardtops came in the "traditional" two tone early in the year.

Mikey

Reactions: 55Madman

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,007 Posts
There were two 'options' for two-tone paint beginning sometime in '55 model year. Std option for 2 tone was roof only... originally for providing for a cooler interior with a light or white roof. Later option was for a 'special two tone', which painted the rear deck area same as the roof. The special two tone was denoted on most/all trim tags with an S or SPL after the paint code.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for shedding a little more light on the issue. ...more proof there wasn't as much uniformity among the various assembly plants as one might think, at least in identification.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts