Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was given the drivetrain from this thing.454 engine,400 trans and anything else I wanted from it.
Now,he's giving me the rest of it!
2 ton suspension(19" wheels) and about 35'/40' long.89 model.
What can I use this for?
Had my eye on a 53 GMC,coe for some time now.
Can it be made to work on this chassie?
Any ideas?
It's about 3 miles from home-I can tow it with my tractor.
Ya'll think it's worth keeping or should I scrap it?
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Get some property someplace that you can use it for a weekend/vacation house.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Back in the 1980s my friend Steve got a used motor home someplace. He planned on stripping the frame bare and then building a trailor to haul his '57 Chevy Wagon race car on it.

He got as far as getting the frame stripped down before his neighbors called and complained. Cause the local salvage yard eventually came and got the frame. (after Steve went to court)

But it was a good idea while it lasted.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been cleaning up around the shop.
Already sold several cars,old a/c units,copper wire,etc.And lots of steel and aluminum.
So,I figured I'd keep the old motorhome and hire a couple guys I know to "Level" it for me.They'll do it for the scrap money.
Scrap school busses are selling for about $1200.00 to $1400.00 each,so they could make plenty on it.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
If nothing else, you could put shelves in it and use it to store parts.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Could make a trailer from the frame rails, find a couple of mobile home axles to go under it.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think so too.
It already has the right components in the right places for the coe.
It has the forward steering,underfloor hydroboost brakes,drum brake on the trans,etc.(I already have the engine/trans)
But it's way too long!
Be a really odd-looking rat rod!
Need more ideas!
Mike.:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I say build it. I have built or assembled three COE's one I did put on a Motor Home Chassis. Two I built the chassis from scratch and I don't now even to this day which was easier, well neither was easy really. The MH Chassis is something of a start but it sure doesn't solve all of the problems, and there are quite a few details that need to be done right.

Now with that said, I would do another one tomorrow but next time I'm going to keep it.

Roland

The 48 F 6 I built just as you see it here in this picture, as a matter of fact the guy picked it up and drove it to Bonneville with a 1/4 Midget on the flatbed. Little Midget was running a Baby Ford V8 Flattie 60 HP ran something like 146 MPH.

The Red 1945 GMC is on a MH chassis.

The Blue Chevy is on a custom built chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hombre,

Those are some cool trucks! Looks like it would be a fun project to build one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts