Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake Drum Lathe - will trade for parts - Sacramento, CA

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Torque Command 
#1 ·
I bought this with the intent of restoring it, using it on my '55 drums, and selling it off after I confirmed it was all in good working order because I would not get a ton of use out of it. I wish I had more hot rod friends and I could do brakes for them, alas my friends primarily drive Acuras. LOL

It appears to be an FMC model, although I haven't been able to confirm this yet because it has been repainted and I haven't looked hard enough for additional markings.

Would be a ton of fun to have, great for someone with a real shop and lot's of projects/friends. Nothing quite like doing it yourself, just the way you want it, on your time frame. No more "professionals" screwing up your prized parts.

Located in Sacramento, local pick up only. I'll drop it into your truck with a hoist. What you see in the picture is what you get. Appears to be complete, although I'm no expert and there's still plenty of aftermarket support for lathes.

$400
If you are serious about buying and can realistically get to Sacramento to pick it up. PM me. I'll take more pictures for serious buyers.

I'd love to see it go to a good home and have it be enjoyed.

Steve

See less See more
#3 ·
I do almost all the mechanical work on my cars, friends cars and for occasional customers. About 10yrs ago I got a chance to buy a brake lathe and then about 5yrs ago, I got a chance to buy a machine to arch brake shoes. Since I have had them, I have used them more than I expected. Both were good investments in equipment for maintaining cars.
Wood Furniture Hardwood Machine Toolroom

About 6yrs ago, when My cousin closed and sold his Dad's garage (Jim and Jerry's garage), I acquired several items that were in excellent working condition, such as this Sun tune up machine. It is a very useful piece of equipment for fine tuning PRE-computer cars.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automobile repair shop Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automobile repair shop Vehicle Car Bumper
Electronic device Technology Machine Screen Electronics

When my uncle's partner (Jim) retired about 15yrs ago, I bought his sun distributor machine.
Machine

About 40yrs ago, a local gas station was going out of business and closing down. They had an OLD hand operated tire changing machine which I bought for $50. It has more than paid for itself for changing tires and fixing flat tires.
I have NO plans of ever getting rid of any of the equipment that I've acquired over the years. They help keep the old Chevys (and Fords, Mopars, GTOs, etc) in good running condition!!!!
Gas
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system

#5 ·
Wow, great stories and awesome garages!
I'm willing to negotiate on the price of the lathe, which I agree is probably a Drum Dokter.
I knee deep into a 2-door conversion and I need to keep my eye on the prize at this moment so I'm better off not getting distracted by a fun project like this because I want to get my car on the road.

Located in Sacramento, CA

#18 ·
Willing to do some trading locally. I have money to trade up. Keep in mind I'm offering a great deal so I'm looking for something "value" in return.
Random things I could use:
3/8" fuel sending unit
650-750 Holley style DP, air filter
SBC crank that is drop in ready
aftermarket SBC rods, pistons, rings, bearings...(nothing that requires machine work)
water pump
pulleys
radiator, shroud, fans (not restoration specific)
will trade up for aftermarket SBC cylinder heads
limited slip rear end
traction bars, caltracs
rear wheel tire combo 275-60-15'ish on 15x7 or 8 "traditional hot rod" style (no modern stuff)
fixed quarter windows and rubber for '55 post
'55 door panels, carpet, interior
wiring kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.