Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 55 12 yrs. ago it had the stock spindle manual dual master 11" rotor rear mount metric caliper conversion installed. It has served me well over the past 70000 miles but I am considering an economical upgrade. Can I simply change the brackets and use the larger GM calipers on my rotors? If I do will the larger pistons require a master cylinder change? I also plan on upgrading to steel braided brake hoses front and rear for a firmer pedal.

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Yes you can do that. As you said, you'll need new brackets too.

Do not expect a lot of change from either the calipers or hoses.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently learned my car fully loaded with passengers for a multi state journey weighs over 4000 lbs. I can't help thinking those metric calipers were made for much lighter vehicles. The makers of "big piston" metric calipers boast of a 20% increase of clamping force, so with more pad area in a larger caliper gripping the rotor I think I would notice an improvement.
I'll be attending Louisville for the NSRA and plan on quizzing some brake vendors for show pricing.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Yes you can do that. As you said, you'll need new brackets too.

Do not expect a lot of change from either the calipers or hoses.
I have larger Chevelle calipers on my 56 and it stops much better than 55 with Metric stuff, same exact 70 Chevelle 11 inch roters on both.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Agreed...if you put the larger calipers on you will notice a difference. I had the metric stuff and moved to a D52 caliper (and larger rotors at the same time). The difference in stopping power was huge; went from feeling unsafe to being completely confident. I now run Wilwoods and it's even better yet!

I will say this though, I wouldn't bother with the larger bore metric stuff. Just go to a D52 style caliper (Camaro's, Chevelle's, Caprices, even 80's trucks used these) and be done with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts