Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all love classic cars but who else loves classic bikes? Not the kind with motors but the kind you pedal. I have found I like the Centurion bikes imported from Japan. They are affordable and ride good. In 2019 I rode one across Iowa on a ride called Ragbrai with my daughter granddaughter and a couple of friends. My bike and my granddaughters were 1989 models which is pretty old by bike standards. Our friend is between me and my granddaughter. The other friend took this picture. Our team was the Texas Cowspokes
P7210018.JPG

·
Registered
66,712 Posts
neat, wish I was in the at kind of shape to ride one. been many years since i was in that kind of shape.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Nice ride trip. I recently got back into pedal bikes but lack peddling ambition.
Recently bought a 27(?) speed mountain bike @ a yard sale for 30.00 just for grins & another one with an aluminum frame for parts @ another yard sale for 5.00. Fixed the brakes on the first one with parts from the second one = good to go. If any destination is farther away than a mile & a half to the post office I'm on a motorcycle or in a cage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
neat, wish I was in the at kind of shape to ride one. been many years since i was in that kind of shape.
I started back riding bikes in 2013 after my doc said I needed to "do to "do something to lower my cholesterol" I drug a old Huffy out of the shed, put tires on it and was only able to ride a few blocks. I kept at it and in August of 2014 I rode my first Hotter N Hell 100. 100 miles and it did get to over 100 that day. Last year due to covid and just staying home working on my 56 I slowed down a lot but its getting warmer so I am going to step it up some.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I like classic bikes if they're really old, like 50's or even earlier. Never got into a lot of biking myself, and really only biked a lot after I had knee surgery and the doc told me to swim or bike, and not be running and causing the jarring on my joints.
My poor bike has hung in the garage for almost a decade now without even being touched. Need to get it out again this summer and get back to riding daily like I used to do!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I started out my young life working in the largest bicycle shop on the East Coast in 1978. Loved all the old Schwinn Varsity's, World's , Apple Orange and Bannana Crate Models. Don't get out much on my bike these days but still love them!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Back in the 50's and 60's we had Hook's Schwinn Cyclery here a few blocks from my home. We used to go there whenever we were out riding around to see what new Schwinn bikes they had. The owner and his wife were pretty nice to a bunch of kids they knew weren't buying, and always let us spend all the time we wanted looking.
My parents couldn't afford a used Schwinn, let alone a new one then! With 5 kids it would have broke the bank at our house!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
They say once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget. I hope that is true. I haven’t ridden a bike in 40 years, but if these gas are heading where I think they are, to wheels may look appealing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I started riding 4 or 5 miles a day a couple years ago, its addictive. Put a basket on the front and use it for grocery shopping and other chores, sometimes I don't use the car for a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Was into cycling back in the 90's due to knee problems. Was best for my therapy but, after I had both knees replaced, my doc said, "no more cycling." So, was back in the gym on stationary bikes until pandemic hit. Now, I'm nursing a replaced right hip!
Ain't no fun getting old!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts