Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused0006:What is the black coating on some of the sheet metal parts now
available? And how do you prep it for paint, what type of primers?
Or do you prime at all? Ideas, experiences?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I talked to the owner of Southern Polyurethanes, SPI, about this and he said about half of his customers remove it and then epoxy prime, the other half just scuff it up with sandpaper or scotchbrite and epoxy prime. He had not heard of problems either way and thought that scuffing and the priming with epoxy was OK. I have some to do too and am just going to scuff it.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Some of it is real EDP, others is just cheapo primer..

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
On most of the parts I bought a couple years ago,the black came off very easy.So,I took it all off and epoxied them.
Now,I try to sand them.If it comes off easy,I remove it all.If it's hard to sand off,I just scuff it and epoxy.
Some of the parts I have,sandblasting won't even take it off!
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Many of the imported replacement parts are E-Coated now, another name is EDP, ( Electro deposition Primer). This is the same process that the auto makers use to coat new cars and trucks. Parts are ran through a multi stage Wash-Zinc Phosphate pretreatment before dipping in a E-Coat tank. Parts are then oven baked to cure the paint. If the parts are e-coated do not remove it except for where you have to weld it. If you remove it for welding use weld through primer on all bare spots before you weld. It is a great product . I ran a 12 stage E-Coat line where I used to work and we had to pass 1,000 salt spray testing as most of the auto and truck makers are now requiring it . To test for E-Coat use lacquer thinner on a rag and rub it. Another test is a tape pull test. Apply a strip of reinforced packing tape and pull it off. Cured High quality E-Coat will not rub off on a rag or come off in a tape pull. If it fails testing remove it. I would check all parts to be sure it is E-Coated before painting or priming them. The paint companys recommend an Epoxy primer sealer over E-Coat. Just skuff with 320 grit and spray your primer.
Hope this helps. Sorry to ramble on. For more information on E-Coat Google it.
Tom

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

That wasn't rambling, that was great info!!:happy0030:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts