1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is it?

Is there any one black color that would
be more suitable to paint a car?

One that is more 'black' than others......
if that sounds right.
:cool:

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Nope! Black is not black anymore, there are many different blacks. PPG 9700 is about as black as you can go. DeWayne
Wow DeWayne...back in the 80's I use to sell Ditzler paint at the parts store I worked at and DDl 9700 was black acrylic lacquer and DAR 9700 was black acrylic enamel...not to popular now a days ..you probable never heard of it ? What was 9800...I thought that was black ...maybe chassis black...pete

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
There's a recent discussion of this at chevytalk in the paint and body forum.

One problem with PPG you have to know what type paint, as the numbers vary.

In DCC, apparently the "blackest" black is DCC9000. There is a DCC9300 also. But no DCC9700.

The formulas for DCC9000 and DCC9300 were posted.

However there is a 9700 in DBU, and as stated, in lacquer.

I think you'll find similar situations in other paint lines/brands. Hard target, and subjective.

Another related issue, do you paint with single stage, base/clear, or mix clear with single stage. This is also discussed in the chevytalk thread.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a recent discussion of this at chevytalk in the paint and body forum.

One problem with PPG you have to know what type paint, as the numbers vary.

In DCC, apparently the "blackest" black is DCC9000. There is a DCC9300 also. But no DCC9700.

The formulas for DCC9000 and DCC9300 were posted.

However there is a 9700 in DBU, and as stated, in lacquer.

I think you'll find similar situations in other paint lines/brands. Hard target, and subjective.

Another related issue, do you paint with single stage, base/clear, or mix clear with single stage. This is also discussed in the chevytalk thread.
Good question.......he'll be using base/clear

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are as many different blacks now as there are whites.Oops! That sounded racially charged but I am talking paint colors here. The Blackest black I have found is House of Kolor. Did a Mustang in it with a true fire graphic on it a few years ago and believe me it was blacker then an angry wife's heart.

·
Premium Member
16,160 Posts
You can buy the 9700 in either DBC or DBU. Both are basecoat not lacquer. PPG does not make DCC!? Never heard of it. DBU base mixes 1:1 with DT870. DBC mixes with the DR reducers. I have never used lacquer paint of any kind. Sorry for the confusion.:D
DBU needs the DRR reactive reducer, The DBC uses the DT reducer. If you mix these up you will end up with curdled paint at best.

-Bruce

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
"PPG does not make DCC!?"

DCC is single stage acrylic urethane in the Deltron line, and they have made it for years.

Where have you been? You must lead a sheltered life for a paint and body guy.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
insane, do you paint frames and small parts with base/clear also? Seems like a lot of extra work.

One of the points made in the thread at the other place was that if you scratch a black bc/cc paint job, the scratch is white and stands out like a sore thumb. A suggested technique was to paint with single stage for 2 coats, then mix clear and single stage for the next 2-3 coats, increasing the amount of clear each time. The black tinted clear won't scratch white like clear will.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found out my guy uses PPG exclusively.......and we'll be
doing base clear.
So......whats a PPG number I should be looking for?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Or is it?

Is there any one black color that would
be more suitable to paint a car?

One that is more 'black' than others......
if that sounds right.
:cool:
Guy ask what the major paint mix color for base, if the base is a Blue VS brown......Blue will give a Black that is real deep where Brown gives a more muddy base....... Not really deep.......
Pig is Me :anim_25:

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
If your painter is using DBU base, it's DBU 9700.

Sorry, I don't know the DBC number. It may be 9700 also, don't know.

Plus there's the DCC 9000 and 9300 I already described, so there are probably other mixes for DBU and DBC also.

I'm sure you're painter has a preference for DBU vs. DBC. Some painters prefer DBC, but I don't know all the ins and outs. DBU uses a "reactive reducer" which means it's catalyzed and probably a little easier to deal with. But you can put catalyst in DBC also. Colors are supposed to be better with DBC, but black may be the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts