Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the blast tent today it worked fine. The 80 grit glass beads are not getting the job done. I used 50 lbs and only got half of the A Pillar done. Would 80 grit crushed glass work better? It removed the paint slowly but it is not touching the rust. Eastwood does not recommend using anything corser with this blaster I have. Any suggestions?

Randy

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I tried the blast tent today it worked fine. The 80 grit glass beads are not getting the job done. I used 50 lbs and only got half of the A Pillar done. Would 80 grit crushed glass work better? It removed the paint slowly but it is not touching the rust. Eastwood does not recommend using anything corser with this blaster I have. Any suggestions?

Randy
Hi Randy, What air pressure are you getting with your blaster..try turning the pressure up:)

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
I was afraid you'd say that.

Try just about anything more aggressive. You can use anything on the pillars, interior, floors, tops of the front fenders, etc. - anything that has enough inherent stiffness in the panels so that it won't warp. The big flat panels like the doors, quarter, roof and trunk lid will warp if you have a powerful blaster and powerful media.

I use fine grade blasting sand, because it's cheap, and I can get it at the local hardware store about a mile from the shop. Anything else is more expense and more trouble to get or ship.

What kind of setup do you have for a pressure pot and compressor?

The faster the blaster and media is able to remove paint, primer, and filler - the more likey it has the ability to warp panels.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick,

I have a 100 lb pressure blaster from Eastwood. My compressor is 7 hp with 80 gallon tank. I was blasting at 125 psi. No problem with pressure. The glass beads are not aggressive enough.I am going to buy some crushed glass to try.Eastwood does not recommend to use silica based abrasives in blaster due to heath reasons. That should not be a problem with a good respirator?I think that the sand you use is what they call play sand. It would be a lot cheaper. It could get expensive buying these abrasives.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I use Black Diamond from Tractor Supply at $8 a bag. I have a HF pressure blaster and usually blast at about 80psi. The Black Diamond is a coal slag product and is very low in free silica unlike play sand or blasting sand so it is a lot safer to use.

I can't imagine using 50 pounds to blast a pillar. My setup would blast a pillar clean even with heavy rust in less than 10 minutes and maybe use 10 pounds at the very most.

I did this frame in 2 days. In this picture it is about 3/4 complete. I had just flipped it over.

I reclaimed the media about 3 or 4 times. I just screen it with a piece regular window screen. As I remember, I only used about 4 - 50 pound bags of media on this.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I agree with Rick L I learned thehard way I used about 80 lbs of pressure and warped my deck lid using sand as I was a novice and blasted between the inner deck lid by the bracing and warped the deck lid. Many of the parts like hoods and panels I take to a very reputable blaster and he takes care of it for me. Smaller stuff i still do. Many try this thining they are saving money but when I can get a quarter panel done well for $70.00 nad not have it be warped is worth the money and time I save. :anim_25::anim_25:

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
We use Dupont Starblast.. Cuts well, is cleaner/faster than sand.

·
12,256 Posts
Rick,

I have a 100 lb pressure blaster from Eastwood. My compressor is 7 hp with 80 gallon tank. I was blasting at 125 psi. No problem with pressure. The glass beads are not aggressive enough.I am going to buy some crushed glass to try.Eastwood does not recommend to use silica based abrasives in blaster due to heath reasons. That should not be a problem with a good respirator?I think that the sand you use is what they call play sand. It would be a lot cheaper. It could get expensive buying these abrasives.
The truth is any sand is going to have some silica in it. Silica is actually silicon dioxide, or QUARTZ! Silicon dioxide is the most abundant mineral on earth. It's everywhere.

I buy silica sand in 100 pound bags for about $8 a bag. It works very well for taking paint and rust off, and it's not too coarse. I use "medium" silica sand. I tried using some play sand from Home Depot once, and it had gravel in it. I have not been able to find good sand other than the silica sand locally. Maybe try some masonry sand. A lot of that sand is feldspar, but I'm sure it also has some free silica in it. In any case, you should use a good respirator or better yet, supplied air.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
The truth is any sand is going to have some silica in it. Silica is actually silicon dioxide, or QUARTZ! Silicon dioxide is the most abundant mineral on earth. It's everywhere. I buy silica sand in 100 pound bags for about $8 a bag. It works very well for taking paint and rust off, and it's not too coarse. I use "medium" silica sand. I tried using some play sand from Home Depot once, and it had gravel in it. I have not been able to find good sand other than the silica sand locally. Maybe try some masonry sand. A lot of that sand is feldspar, but I'm sure it also has some free silica in it. In any case, you should use a good respirator or better yet, supplied air.
Glass beads have very low "free silica" even though it is indeed made from silica. The "free silica" is what is real bad for you. Glass beads however don't work well on paint or real heavy rust. (Works great on light rust though.) Since all dust is bad for you to breath, in any case, a good quality respirator (not a rubber band dust mask) is imperative like you say. However, I choose to use the coal slag which is low free silica anyway. I just figure it is better not to subject the family, pets and neighbors to free silica. But, I am paying twice as much at $8 per 50 pound bag for the Black Diamond. It sure works well though.
I have heard that Black Beauty is good and think it is the same thing as Black Diamond. I have also heard that Starblast is good but I can't get that locally. My local Tractor Supply carries the Black Diamond.

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
When I blast, I wear a minimum of thick work clothes, blasting gloves, and a blasting hood. I also use a supplied air respirator. For me, epecially in the climate I live in, the supplied air respirator makes for a much better blasting experience. My hood doesn't fog up, nor do my glasses. The air from the respirator is much cooler than from under the hood. If you've ever done any blasting, you know that it doesn't have to be particularly warm outside to be warm with the blasting stuff on.

If you let the blasting area settle down, or step away from it, before removing the respirator, I feel that the safety aspect of using sand has been satisfied when using a supplied air respirator.

If you don't use a supplied air respirator, instead using a passive respirator with cartridges, be sure you have the correct cartridges for blasting. That would be what most (maybe all) suppliers color code with purple. Make sure you change the pre-filters often. And make sure the mask fits very well. Because the supplied air respirator is pushing fresh air into the mask, a small leak is inconsequential, it's pushing clean air out of the mask, not letting contaminated air in like a passive mask will when it leaks.

·
12,256 Posts
However, I choose to use the coal slag which is low free silica anyway. I just figure it is better not to subject the family, pets and neighbors to free silica. But, I am paying twice as much at $8 per 50 pound bag for the Black Diamond. It sure works well though.
I have heard that Black Beauty is good and think it is the same thing as Black Diamond. I have also heard that Starblast is good but I can't get that locally. My local Tractor Supply carries the Black Diamond.
I'd use the Black Beauty if I could find it locally. Starblast (alumina) is intended for blast cabinets, I believe, and it's pretty expensive like glass beads. I use glass beads in my blast cabinet, but I think they were about $25 for 50 pounds.

Honestly, I think the silica thing is over-hyped. Most of the earth's crust is silica. You can stop along the gravel roads in the west and there's quartz (silica) all over in the gravel and it gets crushed by traffic. Road base is full of quartz too. When you drive down the road you make a cloud of dust that is full of silica. People drive in that cloud of dust and breathe it all the time.

I think if you did a lot of blasting with silica every day, for a job, it would be more of a hazard. But I don't freak out about it blasting a little now and then. I do take precautions, because none of it is good for you. You should do what you can to avoid breathing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts