Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 55 2dr hardtop that has been sitting for too long and I am finally going to do something with it. The car is taken apart except the body is still bolted to the frame. It has the typical rust issues for one that has been sitting for a while. I, like most people are doing this on a shoestring budget and doing most of the work myself. I can do just about all of the mechanical but need to leave the bodywork to someone better equipped. (toolwise and skillwise). Anyway I am comptemplating whether to have the body blasted or dipped. Does anyone know the advantages to one or the other and a good place in central NC to do either? Thanx and I will keep progress reports posted.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I don't know of any one in your area as I'm from New England. I have a 56 210 that I've got stripped down and doing my own repairs to. If it has been sitting around make sure to check the bottom of the frame rails as I found mouse nests in mine and serious rot. I use a chipping hammer to tap the rails with the point to find the bad areas. I'd rather repair them now than after it is all together.
Dave

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Dave
Welcome to TriFive, as far as blast or dip I would dip the body rather than blast . The solution will go places the sand can not . Also the body will stand up to the stripper better than the sand were there are large panels may create warpage and distortion and cause you to need more repair than just rust. Now when it comes to the frame blasting will be OK but dipping would be a great way to get places you can not with sand. But it all comes down to budget. Stripping is not cheap but blasting a whole body is probably not to far behind in cost.
Good luck and let us know how you make out . :D

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I agree on not blasting the body panels unless you have someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. The last couple I had done I had the rust spots and the perimiters only blasted. Then I removed the rest of the paint with a sander. You can get pretty aggresive on sand paper and not hurt the metal. If you chose to strip by sanding, sand only long enough to start seeing metal and move on across the panels to more paint. If you try to remove all the paint as you go you will use twice as much sand paper. Start with 80 grit on a DA sander (random orbital sander). When you near done run over the panels with 180 grit.
I would plan on priming as soon as possible after the panels are bare. If time is limited, do one panel at a time and prime.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MikeKy55 said:
I agree on not blasting the body panels unless you have someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. The last couple I had done I had the rust spots and the perimiters only blasted. Then I removed the rest of the paint with a sander. You can get pretty aggresive on sand paper and not hurt the metal. If you chose to strip by sanding, sand only long enough to start seeing metal and move on across the panels to more paint. If you try to remove all the paint as you go you will use twice as much sand paper. Start with 80 grit on a DA sander (random orbital sander). When you near done run over the panels with 180 grit.
I would plan on priming as soon as possible after the panels are bare. If time is limited, do one panel at a time and prime.
I had a guy that said he would blast it but it would be between 1500 & 2500 to blast it. He has done a lot of tri-fives and I wouldn't worry about wharping if he did it. How does this compare with what iy would cost to dip?

·
4,460 Posts
Tom, I really don't know about and dip shops in your area. You might check with any shops around that do this type work and see if they can make a recomendations. It sounds like you may be in the same price range though.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Guys
In my area Northeast Pa. the going rate for dipping is around $2400.00 for a whole car. Blasting seems to be about the same for an overall but just in my opinion it's not as good a job , unless you are only looking for exterior panel blast only. :D

·
4,460 Posts
I agree 100% if the price is even close, dip it. There nothing like having clean metal everywhere when you redoing one. Have all your ducks in a row and be ready to prime the car as soon as you get it back.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Ron there is a strip franchise called Ready strip out here I don't know if there are any out west. I would contact some of the chrome plate shops like Bummper Boy's they should have a better Idea who's out there . I will see Carloas at spring Carlisle and pick his brain for info . That will not be until April 19th but as soon as I know I will forward from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts