Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its me again got the cab primed and ready to place it on the frame. I installed a new double bowl power brake assembly on the frame but haven't charged it with fluid yet. I have a remote brake reservoir coming and the master cylinder looks to be lower than my wheel cylinders. Short of having to buy a mighty vac is there any way to bleed these lines? This is the first time I have had to deal with this situation with the master cylinder being that low. My first step is to remove the master cylinder and bench bleed it to get air out of the master cylinder and help remove as much air as I can. once I properly secure the cab it will be hard to get to the master cylinder so I thought I would do it now. Is this the way to approach it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

HELP!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have disc brakes in front and drum brakes in back. The disc brakes are power I installed a complete IFS system and rear springs from CPP. its all new and not fired up yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just bought his kit from Harbor Freight, worked fine I wouldn't want to use it if I did it for a living

Pittsburgh® Automotive Brake Bleeder Kit 24.99

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
You bleed it just like any other car/truck installation. If you put a remote fill up high then you have no need for residual pressure valve at the front brakes as the vent is now up high just like a normal firewall mount.
I use the Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder and it works great. I could never use a mity vac as hand pumping was beyond slow and tedious.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
i have disc brakes in front and drum brakes in back. The disc brakes are power I installed a complete IFS system and rear springs from CPP. its all new and not fired up yet.
I have the same set-up from CPP, except I have firewall mounted brake master cylinder. Let me Know how everything is working. I have my cab on and the engine mocked up ready to weld in the motor mounts. I painted the cab today. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive:gba:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hOW YOU DOING RAY? WHAT YEAR IS YOUR TRUCK? MINE IS A 55 1ST SERIES 5 WINDOW. MY FRAME IS ALL DONE I JUST HAVE NOT CHARGED THE BRAKE SYSTEM UP YET. I'M HOPING THAT BY HAVING THE RESERVOIR ON THE FIRE WALL IT WILL HELP A LITTLE. THE CPP REMOTE RESERVOIR KIT I BOUGHT ONLY CAME WITH 6' OF HOSE BY THE TIME I GET IT ON THE FIRE WALL NOT ENOUGH HOSE. I CALLED CPP TODAY AND THEY ARE SENDING ME ANOTHER 6' SO I'M MAKING THE MOUNTING BRACKET FOR RESERVOIR. I GOT A MOUNTING BOLT KIT FROM LMC BUT WANTED TO KNOCK THE MASTERCYLINDER OUT OF THE WAY SO I CAN INSTALL THE BOLTS TO MOUNT CAB.

WHAT MOTOR YOU GOING WITH IN YOUR TRUCK? I WILL MAKE MY DECISION ON MY MOTOR THIS WINTER. DEBATING ABOUT TO REDO THE 235 OR JUST PUT A CRATE MOTOR IN EITHER WAY ITS GONNA COST SOME BUCKS.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MOTOR MOUNTS.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I tapped a quick connect air coupler into a scrap master cyl. cover. Less than 5# air pressure does the trick. Too much air will escape the cover seal and make a mess,brake fluid will melt paint. Lay a rag over it just in case. Keep a close eye on the fluid level in the bowls so as not to introduce air.

C35B926A-A3FC-4ABD-9190-416FC4502249.jpg
Jim

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
hOW YOU DOING RAY? WHAT YEAR IS YOUR TRUCK? MINE IS A 55 1ST SERIES 5 WINDOW. MY FRAME IS ALL DONE I JUST HAVE NOT CHARGED THE BRAKE SYSTEM UP YET. I'M HOPING THAT BY HAVING THE RESERVOIR ON THE FIRE WALL IT WILL HELP A LITTLE. THE CPP REMOTE RESERVOIR KIT I BOUGHT ONLY CAME WITH 6' OF HOSE BY THE TIME I GET IT ON THE FIRE WALL NOT ENOUGH HOSE. I CALLED CPP TODAY AND THEY ARE SENDING ME ANOTHER 6' SO I'M MAKING THE MOUNTING BRACKET FOR RESERVOIR. I GOT A MOUNTING BOLT KIT FROM LMC BUT WANTED TO KNOCK THE MASTERCYLINDER OUT OF THE WAY SO I CAN INSTALL THE BOLTS TO MOUNT CAB.

WHAT MOTOR YOU GOING WITH IN YOUR TRUCK? I WILL MAKE MY DECISION ON MY MOTOR THIS WINTER. DEBATING ABOUT TO REDO THE 235 OR JUST PUT A CRATE MOTOR IN EITHER WAY ITS GONNA COST SOME BUCKS.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MOTOR MOUNTS.
I have the 2nd series 55 truck. I am installing a 305 with a 350 turbo. Something reliable to drive. Will add air. I have built my wife a 51 five window. 327 with 700r4. Camaro front clip with 4lin rear.bowtie-trifive:gba:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ray that sounds great! have you got a build in progress on them id love to see your pictures. It may give me some ideas. what color did you paint your cab?

you got to love them 5 windows even if they are not a 55-56 or 57. I cant wait to get mine done. I did some more sanding on misc. parts today. I'm about ready to bring the front fenders inners and outters in the shop so I can get those worked up and primed with epoxy. It will still be a while on mine so much work to do yet. I bet you already been through that with the 51.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts