Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post on this forum. Me and my dad own a 1955 3100 second series truck and we have been thinking of building a better engine for it. I am only 17 and my dad has had this truck for over 20 years. The truck is pretty much a drag racing truck just it has never seen a track. When my dad had me and my brother he just put off working on it until I told him that I would want to drive it one day. Currently the truck has a 454 in it, complete drag racing powder coated suspension including a 9 inch in the rear, some of the widest Mickey Thompson rear tires, and a built automatic transmission. If the money comes up this year than me and my dad will build a blown 496 engine to put in it. An engine that it would truly deserve. The truck will probably be 60% street driven and 40% track. Since I am only 17 I don't know much about camshafts right now and would like some input. I want to have a hydraulic roller cam because it is very low maintenance and I have been told they perform well. Here is the cam I was thinking about for the build.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl01-409-8/overview/make/chevrolet

I had asked summit and they suggested this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-11-409-8/

The engine would have an 8-71 blower pushing 8-12lbs of boost, probably 2 demon 750 or 850 carbs, and I was thinking about using these heads with 1.7 roller rockers

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...make/chevrolet/engine-size/7-4l-454/year/1970

I was also wondering if these heads would stand up to the lift of either of these cam with 1.7 rockers since the max lift is at .600. If you think another camshaft would work better please recommend it then.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
As design wise the cam summit guy suggested is definitely a better choise for a blown engine. You want wide lobe camshaft without too much overlap like the nitrous grind is...I would personally go with even smaller cam than that since you dont have to rev that monster to make power. Your cam choise has actually less overlap since it is so short duration cam, 41 degrees versus 56 degrees nitrous cam, I think "shorter" nitrous/ blower grind would work better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Call Bullet Cams and ask for Tim he is a super nice guy and knows his stuff on blower cams. I had a blown bbc and he set me up with a cam that worked great. You'll love the blower, instant torque.

Jimmy

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
That voodoo is really nice cam for N/A engine but for blower I would use something with less overlap....overlap and boost is not a great match. I agree with guys above, ask also suggestion from Bullet cams. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what bullet cams recommend

CHB 298/310-HR12+4
intake master = HR298/3677
exhaust master = HR310/3677
duration @ .050 = 244/254
lift with 1.7 = .625/.625
lobe separation = 112
intake centerline = 108
cam cost = $413.00
thanks, james h

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been finding more information on blower cams and how they need 0 or negative overlap. Can anyone tell me where the overlap should be, if it should be at 0 or somewhere in the negatives.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Brian, zero or negative overlap isn´t allways necessary but "less" is better how many degrees that is I cant say...making a zero overlap cam is allmost impossible to make, especially hydraulic roller cam which need somewhat conservative opening and closing ramps, that is when the cam has more than stock duration and duration is needed for decent rpm range in a big cubic inch BBC.

I recommend that you also contact Chris Straub and ask his opinion on this...he is a really smart cam guy and knows turbo and blower cams too, he made a custom solid roller to my buddies twin turbo sbc and that cam is truly a turbo grind to boot. here is the link http://www.straubtechnologies.com/custom-camshafts/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.