Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a number of older threads that talk about blue dot tail lights. Here in MN it is legal to have blue dots provided the dot is 1" or less and the vehicle is a motorcycle or a collector car (169.64 Subd 4).

For the '55 Chev, blue dots usually just don't work. There are 2 issues here, 1. The blue dot must be directly behind the light source to illuminate properly and 2. The red inner diffuser lens cancels out the light rendering the blue effectively invisible.

This all being said, I saw a nice '55 with functional blue dot lenses at the Back to the 50's show last month. The owner told me that his b-i-l rigged it up by providing a seperate light source and directing the light directly to the blue lens. Since then I've been experimenting with fiberoptic to see if I could devise a light pipe using the 1157 bulb as the light source. FAIL!!!! Just not enough light was getting to the blue to effect the purple hue that looks so cool.

Back to the drawing boards... Thinking now that I might try a small 194 side marker bulb for the source and wire it into the brake/signal circuit.

Of course, I would place the bulb between the inner diffuser lens and the outer lens.

Anybody have any better or proven methods?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Use a high intensity LED direcitly behind the blue dot!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't say with absolute certainty, but am fairly sure that all 55's came with plastic inner diffuser lenses. That is a good question for the resto experts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A friend who I consider an expert on Tri-Fives tells me that the inner tail light lens on the '55 Chevy has always been plastic, never glass.

If he says they were never glass, then I believe him. If someone has glass inners, then they must be aftermarket (IMHO).

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
A friend who I consider an expert on Tri-Fives tells me that the inner tail light lens on the '55 Chevy has always been plastic, never glass.

If he says they were never glass, then I believe him. If someone has glass inners, then they must be aftermarket (IMHO).
I was referring to the original blue dots as being glass, I believe some of the after market blue dots were plastic with a chrome round ring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts