Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Body Bushing Torque?

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Talldeck427 
#1 ·
Looking for the proper body bushing torque spec for a sedan. I'm finding conflicting torque specs for the sedan body bushings. I've seen 20 to 26 FtLb and 28 to 35 FtLb. Currently I'm at 26 FtLb. I have one bottom bushing that split at 26 FtLb. Danchuk kit.

#2 ·
I believe the Danchuk information is on the high side.....I'm seeing 20 ft lbs in an article that I have, but will check some more.

If you look in the Assembly Manual at the various Body Mounting positions, you will see 15-20 ft lbs:1957 Passenger Assembly Manual

#4 ·
I appreciate guys.
Pop's, I looked at the manual that you referred to at the top left corner and see where it states 15 to 20 ftlb's. The 55 manual I have doesn't show that. It refers me to a separate Torque manual #3717700, which I don't have. I will go down to 20 ftlb's unless I hear different.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Pop's, I looked at the manual that you referred to at the top left corner and see where it states 15 to 20 ftlb's. The 55 manual I have doesn't show that....Thanks.
The 57 manual included the torque specs, where the 55/56 did not...The ones for 57 are correct for 55/56.

#5 · (Edited)
Unless you have a convertible, It should not be that critical, if they are installed correctly. You are tightening the washers down on the sleeve, not the rubber. The length of the sleeve should provide the correct amount of squish to the rubber cushions. The sleeve is trapped between the body or shims and the bottom washer and the bolt is torqued to hold the nut on. Link to body bushing. You should not be able to compress the rubber too much unless you have missmatched rubbers and sleeves.

#6 ·
Unless you have a convertible, It should not be that critical, if they are installed correctly. You are tightening the washers down on the sleeve, not the rubber. The length of the sleeve should provide the correct amount of squish to the rubber cushions. The sleeve is trapped between the body or shims and the bottom washer and the bolt is torqued to hold the nut on. Link to body bushing. Youn should not be able to compress the rubber too much unless you have missmatched rubbers and sleeves.
Got it, that makes perfect sense.
Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.