Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited to be very close to placing the body of my '55 back on my frame. I've had the body on and off a few times, and I've always used the rear-most body mount holes as my lift point and it's worked well. But the transition between the rotisserie and frame is awkward. I end up getting close and then use jack stands to support the rear of the body while I remove the rotisserie and raise the frame into place with a floor jack.

Before I do this one last time, I thought I'd check to see if any of you use different lift points that would allow lowering the body all the way without interruption.

In a day or two, this gets to start looking like a car again!

Jay

·
Registered
899 Posts
i put i hooks in the body mounts and use the engine hoist. if you put i hooks that are long enough to go through the top of the trunk and the rotisserie you should be able to un-hook it had let it down with the engine hoist. when you get to the frame, put spacers inbetween the body and frame, take out the i hooks and then block the body at a solid point and just jack it down. good luck. jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
37,299 Posts
To avoid the problem of the lifting rigging and the rear body mounts being in the same place (and in the way of each other), I use the rear gas tank mounting holes. For reinforcement, I use a short piece of square steel tube underneath the floor. Small eyebolts are bolted through the floor and through the tube. Then you can use a strap or chains to connect to a common lift point.

In the front I've been using a strap wrapped around the cowl mounts. Next time I'll have paint on those, so I'm going to switch to a pair of plates bolted to the hood hinge holes.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,425 Posts
The system I've used for years now is:

Take a pair of 1/2" eye bolts and weld the eye closed. Used heavy fender washers above and below the shock mount opening and tighten securely.

Run 2" or2 1/2" ratchet straps from eye bolts to opposite front mounting brackets. Keeping the strap low around the front door post to the hanger point.

Use the Cherry picker (mine's electric hydraulic) and raise the body. This works better if you have at least one other person to steady and help align, but can be done by yourself if need be.

Remove the rotisserie and roll in the chassis.

Roll the hoist over the chassis and lower slowly. Aligning holes as it lowers.

Once in position and blots are started. Release all pressure and remove the hoist.

This allows for moving the body without welding or having to block the body to get the mounts and bolts in place. All the lifting points are not obstructing the mounting locations and you can remove them quickly and easily without having to worry about painting or repainting any parts.

In the case of a hard top (2 or 4) I would suggest installing a set of bolt in adjustable door opening stiffeners. Even though the lifting point is shorter and creates less pressure on the opening, there is still some, so be on the safe side and install the stiffeners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts