Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i get the entire body off the frame? I dont know how much rust the frame has so i wanna take the body off of it to to figure it out?

I know this sounds dumb but its my first time restoring a car lol :D

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Hick welcome,
Disconnect everything, remove all body parts, reinforce door openings,esp on verts and HTs.
Lift slowly and then disconnect the things you missed. Use jacks, cherry picker, 4x4s, blocks, 4 guys and it is an easy project.
with the 4x4s long enough you can pull the chassis out. Have fun and good luck.
I did mine with two floor jacks and my brother helping, it was tough but doable.
Jim

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
If this is the first time restoring a car, ask yourself if this is what you really want to do and what your goal is. You can pretty much evaluate the whole frame with the body on the car. If there is body work (rusted floorpans, etc.) that need replacing and taking it off the frame will help in the replacement, then that's a feasable reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this is the first time restoring a car, ask yourself if this is what you really want to do and what your goal is. You can pretty much evaluate the whole frame with the body on the car. If there is body work (rusted floorpans, etc.) that need replacing and taking it off the frame will help in the replacement, then that's a feasable reason.
Thanks TJ. Hey seeing you live in my area, do you know of any shops that can do all that for me? We need the whole floor to be replaced including the truck. I found a new flow that includes the trunk. I would attempt to do it myself but i dont have any of the right tools and dont know anyone with any knowledge of car restoration.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
How do i get the entire body off the frame? I dont know how much rust the frame has so i wanna take the body off of it to to figure it out?

I know this sounds dumb but its my first time restoring a car lol :D
Sounds like a pretty big bite for a first try to me. I won't say it can't be done, but it can be a recipe for frustration and disapointment.

Ive been doing this old car thing for 45+ years and Ive bought alot of projects from people who got into it and then realized just how big a project it is. Im hesitant to tackle one from start to finish.

Maybe you are made of tough stuff and I wouldn;t want to discourage you. I would only want you to go into it with your eyes open.

You will need lots of new tools and money, plus at a minimum a two car garage. If you have the space, are you willing to have it tied up for a year or two? How much time to you have to devote to it? How will it affect your family and other responsibilities?

Really rough cars are tempting due to their price, but might it not be wise to maybe look around for a project farther along, to finish for your baptism, and if you enjoy the work and challenge, move on to a bigger project later.
Just my 2 cents
Gary

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Hick 727, i have been where you are now when i was younger and i think pistoncan has given you some very good advise. All i would like to add is if you have ever wondered why full frame of restored classics are priced the way they are , then this is won of the reasons.What ever you decide good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I would suggest that you get a copy of a supplier's catolog (Danchuck or Ecklers) and look at what parts cost so that you have an idea of what the future holds in restoring an old car. Mine was a cheap rust bucket when I started nearly 12 years ago and I now have many multilples of the orginal purchase price invested and still not"finished". Be warned that having someone else do a lot of the work will drive up your cost and that you may not be happy with their work. BUT if you go ahead and tackle your project you will really appreciate the work of others when you see their finished projects.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've helped on older restorations (wasn't my car and he didn't care). you'll not have the knowledge of your build unless you and friends restore it.

another way to remove the body from whe frame is to remove the doors first, and have a 18-20 foot length of canvas belt, (army surplus stores), hold a sheet of 4x8 of heavy plywood across the underside of the roof, tie the strap to a fork-lift prong and lift it off.:bowtier:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you click on my build in my signature. I am documenting my restoration and I have a page on how I took the body off my frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts