Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me the pros & cons of acid dipping, media blasting, and old fashion hand sanding for getting a body ready to paint.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I would say they all come with some risk. Acid you run the risk of residue reacting with paint, media blasting you run the risk of distortion. Having this part of a frame-off done for you is very attractive, doing it yourself is very time consuming and messy. I'd say expect to pay $1000-$2000 to have a car cleaned off. Choose someone experienced. I'd do the media blast if it were me.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
It totally depends on what you're starting with.

If it's a car with weathered original paint or one repaint you can probably just sand it down and start from there. There are some good products available for mechanically stripping a paint job.

If you have heavy enamel or cracked paint or some other heavy coating you are probably going to need to media blast completely.
I got quotes from $800 to $3500 to media blast my '55. The biggest problem I had was finding someone that I trusted to do it right.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Dont really hear of acid dipping anymore, there are other media blasting techniques available if you dont want to use sanding discs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't envy you.taking a car down to bare metal is either real expensive or alot of hard work.Allot has to do the condition of what you now have. Chemical paint strippers are real messy and have to be thoroughly neutralized. Sanding disks work relatively well ,on my 55 I put a lot of new panels and DA most of the paint off.I wiped a thin coat of metal prep on all the exposed bare metal and wax and grease remover on the rest.I sealed the car with two coats of the Master coat sealer primer then followed up with DuPont's primer and paint. it's been 12 years now and the car still looks good except for a couple of chips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the process of stripping down my 1957
delray coupe. I tried Jasco paint remover, airplane paint remover (which the guy guaranteed me would strip up to 6 coats of paint). Both failed miserably. A air powered DA could not keep up. Turns out there was six coats of paint to get through. Top coat and its primer came off easily, second paint and primer were the toughest (red single stage paint with a yellow primer..a nightmare) Finally the original green paint removed fairly easily but the original red primer took a little effort. The winner hands down was an electric DeWalt 5 inch hand sander. I was quoted $1500. to media blast and that depended on the actual number of layers of paint. Sander cost $90 and $30 in discs. And of course my labor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts