Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here's the dillemma I need advice on. I want to remove te body to a frame off rotisserie resto but cannot afford nor have access to a rotisserie stand. What would be te next best way to go about this? Opinions please! As always, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
members have made them. use the search option above to find posts on this. :)

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Some here are making "saw horses" out of four by fours, and putting the body up so they can work that way. Your going to need maybe thirty inches of clearance, to role your frame out from other the body. Less if you take the rear tires off. Just don't lift that body by the roof.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have an engine crane hoist pick up one end of the body and with a 4x4 under the body, crib concrete blocks to rest the 4x4 on ... then do the other end same way ... you can roll the frame out but you are going to be limited with what you can do with the floors with the floors.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
What tasks do you need to do? Panels, floors, trunk? Do you have an A-Frame hoist? Engine stand? There are many ways to get the body high enough to get the frame out. Even if it requires that you remove ever bit of the suspension, it can be done. Once it is seperated, slide it out from under the body. Just use care and caution. If nothing else, gut the body of all removable parts and get six strong guys to heft it off.

I used an A-Frame, two spreader bars and a length of 4" I beam to pick my bodies up. The glass does have to be removed though. Once the body is off, I use my 34" tall roller A-Frames and bolt it to them.

Riging

·
Registered
437 Posts
got the table for free,and welded on the legs so i could get the new floor in from underneath. I have $30.00 bucks into this for the wheels...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What tasks do you need to do? Panels, floors, trunk?
NickP
I want to reaplce the entire floor with a new one. One suggestion I had was to mount the body to 4x4's and hoist it ont 4 stacks of cinder blocks. I thought this to be very difficult to work on the underside of the car.

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get under a car that's supported by cinder blocks. Even if it's just the body. They are just plain unsafe.

Some good alternatives using wood or metal have been presented.

If you are doing a floor, you need to use the frame as a jig. So a rotisserie is pretty much inappropriate for the floor job anyway. Maybe for finishing it out, but not to do the real work of positioning the parts.

What you need to think about is supporting the body while it's on the frame while you're cutting out the floor, then how to lift it, get the new floor on the frame, and lower the body onto the floor and frame.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
What tasks do you need to do? Panels, floors, trunk?
NickP
I want to reaplce the entire floor with a new one. One suggestion I had was to mount the body to 4x4's and hoist it ont 4 stacks of cinder blocks. I thought this to be very difficult to work on the underside of the car.
Ditto to what Rick_L said. CMU blocks are just a NO NO. Do you plan on the floor with the braces?

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
You could lift the front end by the hood hinge holes. I cut piece of angle iron and drilled holes to match. then used a chain and engine hoist to lift it. I plan on using the rear body mount points in the trunk to lift the rear.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
You could lift the front end by the hood hinge holes. I cut piece of angle iron and drilled holes to match. then used a chain and engine hoist to lift it. I plan on using the rear body mount points in the trunk to lift the rear.
Use caution if it is a hardtop or a vert. Supported/Braced first. Then maybe so. if it is a sedan might be ok. if the doors and glass is not in it I would consider using the shock holes with a spreader bar to distribute the load.

JMHO

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
If you have an intact tail pan brace, lifting with the rear body mounts is good. But a better way yet, if the trunk area is strong enough, is to use the gas tank rear mounting strap holes with a bar underneath to spread out the load. That way you can lower right to the frame/body mount with the same setup. If you use the body mount holes you can't go all the way down, your lifting hardware will be in the way.

One problem with the shock mount holes is they are under the package tray. So your sling or chain is going to ride on the trunk cutout. And they can be busted up or rusted too.

A sling through the cowl mounts is fine on the front, at least until you have paint. The hood hinge holes are a bit more versatile.

You just have to look at your own situation and use the tools you have or can get. There's lots of ways to do this. And if you have rust you need to adjust to an area that's sound enough to lift with.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I guess I messed up twice then. The front and rear glass are still in the car. and it's sitting on blocks. Although I won't work on it, unless it's supported additionally with an engine hoist. Better safe than sorry...

Should have done more homework first I guess. :confused0006:

:anim_25:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put floors in 2 tri fives without removing body from frame ... it was a pain in the ass but not all that hard ... I used a floor jack and lifted as high as I could get it and then jack stands to support the car ... both had inner and outer rockers replaced in addition to quarter patches and floor sections including body braces. nice part is you check door closure while you progress ... also left the glass in ... Joe

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are some great ideas and knowledge. I appreciate everyones help.
Jasonspd...the photo looks like it mightwork for storage but to work on the car, not too safe.
RickL...I agree, I'll have to adjust to my own situation and use the tools I can get my hands on!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Don't forget to measure your garage door if you want to roll the body outside.
I did'nt have the clearence to keep my tires on & the rear springs will go up a few inches B4 the body clears the frame. So my frame & body is on dolies to roll one or the other outside.
Good luck & have fun

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all of the ideas guys! As much as I don't want to come off of the cash I have decided the safest and best way is to go ahead and bite the bullet. I am trying to work out a deal with the guys at Autotwirler to buy a rotisserie. I'm hoping he will be at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona for pick up (no shipping cost). Keeping my fingers crossed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts