Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the C5 Vette stripped down to the frame and I've moved a 52 Chevy 5 window cab into the shop next to it. Once I get the cab on the Vette frame I want to start beating some of the dents out. I need to buy some decent body tools. I have a stud gun but no pullers. Other than that all I really have is a nice pic hammer and a small (Mallory?) dolly.
What tool do you recomend and where is a good sorce to buy.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Here's a tool that I highly recommend:

Wray Schelin's Shrinking Disc Kit

The tool is great and video is invaluable.

I repaired all the dents on my '55 hardtop using his technique and needed no filler.

You wont need your pick hammer. His technique uses a slapper and dolly and the disc.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a tool that I highly recommend:

Wray Schelin's Shrinking Disc Kit

The tool is great and video is invaluable.

I repaired all the dents on my '55 hardtop using his technique and needed no filler.

You wont need your pick hammer. His technique uses a slapper and dolly and the disc.

You now, now that ya mention it I have a set of brand new shrinking disc I bought more than 10 years ago. I've never used them. Thanks

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bruce, for hammers and dollys, skip the cheap harbor freight style as they are a cheap cast, not well balanced....just plain junk. The dolly you have is likely a Martin. These are good body tools, as well as the truck branded tools (Mac, Snap-on, etc) as these are a good quality also. I like the Snap on body hammers over the Martin hammers strictly for the flats built into the handles. To me they give a better feel and control over what you're doing with the hammer. I suggested these to Marty (56-210sedan) and also suggested that if you have patience, you can find some deals on used ones on ebay. Hopefully he'll chime in with his ebay scores!

Other quality brands to look for are Fairmounts (although some ebay sellers have them spelled as Fairmonts....check both)
and Eloras:
http://www.bloomertool.com/AutoBodyHammers.html

As you can see, quality hammers and dollies are a bit spendy, so some searches on ebay and craigslist (www.tempest.com) can turn up some bargains.

For the slappers Roger spoke of, they can be easily made from broken leaf springs:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=464983&postcount=13

Thanks for the info on what to buy. I'll search for some used stuff. I had a set of harbor freight stuff but after the hammers broke the dollies cracked in half. Just kidding but I don't buy much of those types of tools.

Thanks again

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
You now, now that ya mention it I have a set of brand new shrinking disc I bought more than 10 years ago. I've never used them. Thanks
Contact Wray and just buy the video. I really think it will be worth your while. Using his technique really made me confident with working metal. There is no way I would have had the success I had without it.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won a few Snap On hammers today but I still need a sud slide hammer. I hope I don't have to pay $120.00 for one:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Contact Wray and just buy the video. I really think it will be worth your while. Using his technique really made me confident with working metal. There is no way I would have had the success I had without it.
I'll check it out. Anything I can do to make this project go faster.

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
One of the best things you can do is buy a copy of the book "The Key to Metal Bumping" by Frank Sargent. It was originally distributed by the Martin Tool and Forge Co. - makers of the hammers and dollies already mentioned.

Eastwood sells it. Or I see it for sale on Ebay now and then.

The 3rd edition (which is the latest) was written in 1953 - so it's very "old school" and just what you need - the techniques discussed are simple and straightforward and will never change with time.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the best things you can do is buy a copy of the book "The Key to Metal Bumping" by Frank Sargent. It was originally distributed by the Martin Tool and Forge Co. - makers of the hammers and dollies already mentioned.

Eastwood sells it. Or I see it for sale on Ebay now and then.

The 3rd edition (which is the latest) was written in 1953 - so it's very "old school" and just what you need - the techniques discussed are simple and straightforward and will never change with time.

Awesome. Thanks I'll look for it right now

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
That's the one.

Get it. It's not heavy duty reading or a lot of pages - but the ones that apply are invaluable - they say it so much better than most of us here can.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought it. Sounds like it's just what I'm looking for. I have zero body working ability. I have three of these trucks and they have been bumped on ever corner. I guess they were used, well, as trucks.:D

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
Nice thing about those trucks is you can work with them on this stuff. They don't have the long flat panels that a 55-57 has - damage and repairs are more local. Makes things a bit more straightforward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts