Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My 94 year old Mom still gets them for a vehicle she hasn't owned for 5 years. In addition to this nonsense, AAA called her to tell her that she was a year behind on her car insurance payment. There are some very strange things that go on in this world.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,040 Posts
Get them all the time. It's far from foolproof, but I normally wait a few seconds before saying hello. If the fake caller ID is from my local area and it's not on my contacts for the land line or for the cell phone, I just don't answer. They even started spoofing the caller ID to the neighboring area code (where I get most of my work from). Bastards.
Tried playing games with a credit card debt company for months and they kept calling more and more. Finally one time the girl who I basically knew on a first name basis actually told me that every time I try to waste their time, my number goes on a list that they pass around to the others they work with and if I stop it, the calls will eventually end. She was honest and it really worked! It took a few months but they don't call anymore. Not that it stops all the others.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I've strung them along.............sure I'm interested. Please transfer me to someone who can help me get a warranty. Then, they want vehicle information. Tahoe, what year? How many miles? I tell them 304,000 and all I hear is a click.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have gotten them at three o'clock in the morning. You know they are coming from somewhere in the states. Yeah, right. We tried to cancel our land line but where we live you can't have internet without a land line. We are contemplating turning the ringers off. We ignore any call that we don't recognize but they have gotten clever and can display a local number on the caller ID. We hear our answering machine asking for a pin number because they are trying to remote into it. The telemarketers are downright predatory. The "do not call" registry is a joke.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Most of these calls are by robot with a recording. I very seldom ever get a live voice.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I rarely get a live voice. If you want to take up their time you usually have to press 1 or something. Then you get the guy with the accent. I really liked the video in post #24! Made my day!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I get a ton of them. It's especially annoying when I'm away fro work. I nearly 12 hours ahead of USA time, so they always call when I'm asleep. I have to keep the phone where I can here it becaue I am subject to work calls at any time. I just wish I had THEIR personal number, so that I could call THEM in the middle of my day (their night) and say "so tell me all about this here warranty thing..."

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Get them all the time. It's far from foolproof, but I normally wait a few seconds before saying hello. If the face caller ID is from my local area and it's not on my contacts for the land line or for the cell phone, I just don't answer. They even started spoofing the caller ID to the neighboring area code (where I get most of my work from). Bastards.
Tried playing games with a credit card debt company for months and they kept calling more and more. Finally one time the girl who I basically knew on a first name basis actually told me that every time I try to waste their time, my number goes on a list that they pass around to the others they work with and if I stop it, the calls will eventually end. She was honest and it really worked! It took a few months but they don't call anymore. Not that it stops all the others.
I spoke to the state attorney generals office they told me that these people had two goals. One identity theft or two alloy the hell out of you. I think you are correct on this matter.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
All the time...I've also been told that my SSN is frozen bc I have been caught in undisclosed criminal activity. I usually dial that one in and have fun with them on that one.
I've spoken ( press one to speak to one of our "agents") to a couple of these scammers, funny- IRS agents w/ arabic accents. I proceeded to detail to them some very below the belt -mega NSFW insults, in my best arabic accent- the last guy tore me a new one, in arabic( couldn't understand, except he was very mad) still in my arabic personna, I thanked him and "same to you". What's he gonna do ? blocked his spoofed #, waiting for the next one.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I answer in a very thick foreign accent and they get frustrated and hang up.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Got one of these just yesterday on my cell phone, and caller ID said "unknown caller", so figured it was spam. But I answered, and hit 1 when prompted. Guy says, "I'm Jerry, and would love to help you with an extended warranty! Can you give me the year, make and model of your vehicles?"
So I tell 'ole Jerry my vehicle is a 1969 Chevy Suburban! And he tells me that's a lovely classic, but they can't sell me an extended warranty, but maybe I have another car? I tell him I have two others, and give him details on my '39 Chev coupe. Again Jerry says no. So I tell him I have a '37 Austin, and Jerry's finally figured out he's wasting his time, and says, "Have a nice day." click!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts