Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I AM POSTING THIS HERE BECAUSE 1 OF THE 2 MOST LIKELY SUSPECTS IS A MEMBER HERE (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND VERY SHORTLY, I WILL TOO)......

I just now rec'd the following from a friend, so will be following up on this.

"P.S. I have 3 email addresses for you;
Name Deleted<(name deleted)@gmail.com>
Name Deleted <[email protected]>
Name Deleted <[email protected]>

I suspect one or maybe two of them are bogus; if the first one works, I'll continue using it and delete the other two?"
Someone is sending my friends e-mails and saying it is from me. It isn't!

FYI...... Only the gmail address is mine. The other two are bogus! Place your cursor over the name so you can see the e-mail address. If you receive any e-mails from anyone claiming to be me from any other e-mail address...... DO NOT OPEN! FORWARD IT TO ME AND I WILL DEAL WITH IT!

The 2 bogus links are supposedly from Zimbabwe and Brazil respectively, though they could be spoofed. I am following up on this from all angles. Have narrowed my search to the 2 most likely suspects and should have the culprit identified shortly. Legal action to follow.

HB

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,250 Posts
Got your email from your gmail account today Harry....Good luck figuring this crap out.....Sure makes your blood boil.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Harry, can you say how they're using your name? Are they asking for handouts in your name? Are they trying to sell anything?
Good luck my friend...
Bob

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, David! Much appreciated. I'll get to the bottom of this. And soon. Those who would do such a thing are typically arrogant and self aggrandizing to the extent that they are careless and leave a trail to follow. And I am following that trail as we speak.

For one thing, they (or someone they shared my information with, making both parties liable) have opened an account in my name and have placed now disputed charges on a credit card of mine.

Identity Theft in my state is a felony......

Sufficient to warrant 1st degree felony charges and up to 99 years in prison plus a $10,000 fine...... Per charge.

Best regards,

Harry

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob, the person who did this has sent bogus e-mails to friends purporting to be from myself. Malicious and intended to damage my reputation and credibility.

They have opened bogus accounts in my name and have charged items to my credit card. There may be other things as myself and others follow the trail they have left. I will keep the remainder of details to myself until the investigation is complete and legal action has been concluded.

Best regards,

Harry

·
Administrator
64,002 Posts
Hope you get to the bottom of it, identity theft is a crime that should be dealt with appropriately

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Best wishes with resolving this issue Harry. A lot of grief and aggravation. I said it before, when they aren't trying to pirate cargo ships off the west coast of Africa, they are busy at the key board. Hope they can be identified and punished, Carmine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bob, the person who did this has sent bogus e-mails to friends purporting to be from myself. Malicious and intended to damage my reputation and credibility.

They have opened bogus accounts in my name and have charged items to my credit card. There may be other things as myself and others follow the trail they have left. I will keep the remainder of details to myself until the investigation is complete and legal action has been concluded.

Best regards,

Harry
hi,
you might want to freeze your credit with all three credit bureau’s.

Sent from my iPhone using

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Thanks, Carmine! We're on it. Come un polpo stringe la sua vittima.

Per la tua buona salute,

Harry
You certainly picked a good sea animal there Harry. Can't get away from all those arms. Altri cento anni di buona salute anche per te Harry, Carmine.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is certainly an option we are keeping open at present, stndglassman. Cannot say more just now, as I do not want to telegraph my punches.

Mille grazie, Carmine! Wish you good health and long life, as well!

Love your avatar, SLIM! You mean like this?......

Eating Popcorn emoticon (Eating smileys)

Best regards to all,

Harry

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update:

I have been contacted again by a friend who has received yet another bogus e-mail purported to be from me. So please be careful if you receive anything like this and don't open it.

This time, the scammer is using my friend's name in the 'Subject' line, my e-mail address as a name and has a supposed Pakistani e-mail address behind it.

I am going silent again on E-mail for a while until we have sorted this out.

Copy Of Phony E-mail And Message My Friend Sent Me Below......

HB

" Harry, I got this email this morning, and it smells like a scammer. I didn't open the attachment, and removed it before sending this to you. Looks like they are still at it. I don't know the significance of the long "muhammad" email address, but it stinks also. I noticed one of the earlier email addresses contained the word "Israel", which makes me think this might have some anti-Semitic roots...???

I'm deleting the whole thing, so the attachment will be gone also.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:(friend's name)
Date:Tue, 20 Oct 2020 06:28:41 +0400
To:(friend's name) (<friend's e-mail address>)

Password: 7vse9zfa "

·
Premium Member
10,694 Posts
I recently received an email purportedly from the person I work for. the email was just a slight variation of the real email but enough that if you were not paying attention you might reply. the tone and tenor of the email were a little off which is what made me question the content. This crap seems to be going around lately. Scammers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts