Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I drill out the screw and 'retap? Or should I try and drill the middle out and try and squish it out....

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would drill the center and use a ease-out. In any event I would pull the tank as it will end up with metal drill particles inside.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice

Ya, I already dropped the tank ( pain in the butt), I drilled the center out but do not have an easy out...oops...but, maybe its loose now and I can twist it out reverse. Idk. But I'll have to wash it out regardless. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I would use caution drilling the bolt out of the tank. The tank has fuel vapors in it even if you wash it out and a spark from the drill might cause it to explode causing the tank to balloon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for The heads up...unfortunately....I kinda already drilled....yikes, the car has be sitting for 20+ years, I kinda just figured everything was out of it. Well, I hope I haven't harmed anything yet. I'll proceed with caution. Thank you for the advice!

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I would use caution drilling the bolt out of the tank. The tank has fuel vapors in it even if you wash it out and a spark from the drill might cause it to explode causing the tank to balloon.

ABSOLUTELY.......
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Original tank, 20 years sitting - the best solution may be a new tank.

But you can try to fix it if you're willing to spend the time, knowing that even if you succeed, you may be replacing the tank before long.

There are lots of ways to attack it. A left hand drill bit or a tiny EZ out or other extractor may work. Every broken bolt/screw is a bit different.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,453 Posts
When I bought my car some one drilled out the holes and used sheet metal screws and a lot of sealer. Bought a new tank, they are cheap

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you don't have access to easy outs try using the sharp handle of a common metal file. Just use caution, they will snap off just as easily as easy outs do.

I think you will have to drill out the broken screw. And I agree with others, don't spend a lot of time on a 20+ year old gas tank. Replacements are cheap.

Don

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the tips, I went in there and drilled a lil bit more, got some needle nose and started twisting haha. Believe it or not, I got lucky and the Damn thing came right out! And I tightened a new screw in and the threads are good. So now I just gotta wash out the tank good and let her dry. Thanks for all the advice, trust me, if I do it again, I'll be trying other methods :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts