Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for some bolts with holes through them....So, I can route my third brake light wiring through the license plate bracket bolts on the '55....Any help will be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Dave,I gotta drill that you can borrow.:sign0020:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
OF wasn't far off. if you have a drill press you can do drill more precise thread two nuts on the bolt to where you want the hole, leave just enough room for the bit between the nuts then drill the hole. then thread the nuts off this will clean the threads. I've done this on several different bolt sizes, 1/4" being the smallest. As long as you have the bolt centered under the bit it will work.
I tried finding two grade 5- 7/16"x 1 1/4" bolts with a hole near the end...unless I wanted to buy a box of 50 I couldn't find any. Maybe try McMaster/Carr.

·
51,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Troy....I think that will do it-a tubular bolt :):tu

GR....I'm wanting the hole lenthwise through the center

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
They are kind of pricey, If your were to send me the bolts you want to do I would be more than happy to chuck them up and drill them for you free of charge of course. Let me know.

Troy....I think that will do it-a tubular bolt :):tu

GR....I'm wanting the hole lenthwise through the center

·
51,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are kind of pricey, If your were to send me the bolts you want to do I would be more than happy to chuck them up and drill them for you free of charge of course. Let me know.
Looks like two will run $10+ S&H....Actually, may be able to get by with one.....Really appreciate the offer Troy....Maybe I'll give it a try myself or have my local metal fabricator guy knock it out.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
David,
I did the same thing, used LED lights for tag bolts. I used the little bullet ones and they match the shape of 56 lights. The bolts you are wanting holes through are the ones that hold the tag holder to the trunk....correct? Aren't those more like large sheet metal screws with bolt heads? Anyway, I bought some more bolts/screws like the ones in the holder and drilled them. It is very difficult to hit the center and I screwed up 2 or 3 but finally got a couple drilled that work. It does make the tag a pain to take off and put on.

I used two drilled bolts because I ran two wires and they work just like my brake/signal lights.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you start with a smaller bit and work up it is a lot easier. If you have a machine shop supply place around you get DIE drills they work great for this type of project using a drill press of course

·
51,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using these to secure the licence plate and also act as 3rd brake lights......Wanting to run the wires thtough the bolts holding the bracket to the trunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts