Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is an old topic.

I own a 1957 Chevy Bel Air. It has a 283 and the old standard 2 speed Powerglide transmission. I'm about ready to upgrade the tranny to the 2004R Level 2 Bowtie Overdrives transmission.

Does anyone here have any experience with either the Bowtie Overdrives company or their transmissions?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm not familiar with Bowtie Overdrives, but I checked one of my favorite publications and I think you may want to check out Monster Transmissions at www.eatmyshift.com. they list some hi-performance units at very reasonable prices. When I was about 3 years dumber I had the trans. in my '99 Silverado repaired and it cost me about $300 less than a complete unit from Monster rated up to 500hp

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have done business with BowTie Overdrives since the early 90's. I have installed probably close to 20 of their transmissions, and I have had two fail..WAIT...

The first failed because the idiot that owned the car thought that he knew how to work on cars, and he changed the carb and failed to re-connect the TVI cable. Running a 200 or 700 with the TVI cable disconnected WILL KILL it !!!
BTO replaced the trans gratis even though it was the idiot's fault.
The second actually didn't fail, the bargain torque converter that the customer had failed and it took out the front pump.
That said, I have a BTO 200R4 in my wifes 468 Buick, and I have a BTO 700R4 in the trunk of my 55 just waiting to be installed.
We ran one in a 3rd gen Camaro with a 434 inch motor that put over 400 horses to the real wheels..no problems. I had one in my roller 383 S-10 that was a 12 second streeter ...no problems.
BTO makes a good product. It may cost a little more than the Ebay specials, but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is a little late, but I'm a newbie to this forum, and I ran across this during a search for something else...

Several years ago I brought my 65 Nova to Bowtie Overdrives and they installed a 700R4. The price was right, quality of work was great, and it gave me no trouble. I'd go back...
Rick

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have a TCI 700R4 behind a 350....no problems.
I have only heard good things about BTO. I would not hesitate to try one of transmission's. Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
36,974 Posts
Bowtie Overdrives has a good reputation on these boards.

Personally I think their prices are pretty high. But I also think that the local transmission shop gets a lot of money for what they do also. My bias comes from the knowledge that I can do this myself for a LOT less.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Ok, I know this will really sound stupid, but what are the main differences between the 700R4 and the 2004R?
Eldon

·
Registered
36,974 Posts
The 700-R4 has a 1st gear ratio of 3.06, and an o/d ratio of 0.70. The 200-4R has a 1st gear ratio of 2.75, and an o/d ratio of 0.67. For performance use with close to ideal gear ratios, the 200-4R is usually considered to be better. But if you have a low numerical rear gear ratio, or a heavy vehicle (like a pickup or Suburban), the extra low gear ratio of the 700-R4 is an asset. The gear ratios of the 200-4R are better suited to higher numerical rear gear ratios and lighter cars. But there is not a hell of a lot of difference here.

Another thing about the 200-4R is that it's the same length as an original 55-57 transmission, whether it's a manual, o/d, or Powerglide. That means that if you don't move the engine location, you can use the stock driveshaft by only changing the yoke. The 200-4R is also the same length as many TH350s, and most 4 speeds. So if you're swapping from one of those, you won't need to change the driveshaft at all. The 700-R4 is about 3" longer than any of the transmissions I've mentioned.

They are both about the same strength. The 200-4Rs were stock behind the Buick GN turbo cars and can hold 800-1000 hp ok with mods. All 200-4Rs came with the same internals, even the GNs - they only had valve body and servo differences. At the same build level, they are equal in strength.

As far as the rest of the installation, it's virtually identical for either one. Rear mounts, shifters and linkage, TV cable hookup, and torque converter lockup details are the same for either one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts