Votes: 113 87.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get older I find myself not driving my 56 at highway speeds as much as I did when I was younger and healthier because I don't want to have to clean off all the dead bug goo etc. I do still like to drive and enjoy... Solution; A car bra.... Are these just a good idea on paper or do they really work? Positives/Negatives Anybody? Later, Dave

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
There is a 3M product, that is an invisible bra. I haven't used it, but I'm sure some guys will chime in that have.

·
Registered
67,777 Posts
not a big fan of them :eek:. i think if you go on a big trip it is a good idea to have one on to protect your car from stones and bugs. ;)...................men call it a "bro". ;):D

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Dave,
I run with a bra when it's for longer trips. Within a radius about 40 miles I run "braless". My car has been on the road less than 3 years and what Jonathan has mentioned about the 3m clear bra is a good option. It's expensive (that's why I don't have it) but, it's another option.

Running with a bra up to Reno's Hot August Night's (about 200 miles) I got one big chip right above the bra line! So there are no guarantees the bra will save your car. The bottomline is: if you drive it, you'll get your share of road chips.

·
Administrator
49,510 Posts
Dave i bought a bra for my 57 several years back but don`t know if i will run it or not. Thye can help on bugs and rock chipps but also run the risk of getting rub marks at the edges. So this is a matter of which is worst, rock chips or rub marks? I know, no help at all.:D
Terry

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
All Ive ever heard is that they leave marks & sometimes rub your paint off..

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Not every body can pull it off some look good without a bra. Personal opinion only but I do not like a bra on a Trifive, they just don't have the lines for that look.
They should always be braless. Invisible might be OK. Are those like the invisable braces?
Jim

·
Registered
684 Posts
IMHO, bra's look good only on one thing... well maybe two. :DY:D when i re-paint my 55, i'm gonna look into the 3m product. it was suggested for my "OTHER" car but i didn't want to do the extra expense. a few years back, it was like 700 bucks for just the hood and front bumper including around the lights. now if i spent 15 or 20 grand on a paint job, i think 700 is worth the investment.

·
Registered
311 Posts
you have to make sure the guy doing the invisible---well almost ----bra ---knows what he is doing!---------i had one put on my brand new truck-----so i could peel it off later and not have to paint the hood---------he cut the freakin paint----and the curves are hard to get right---------fyi

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:
Dave i bought a bra for my 57 several years back but don`t know if i will run it or not. Thye can help on bugs and rock chipps but also run the risk of getting rub marks at the edges. So this is a matter of which is worst, rock chips or rub marks? I know, no help at all.:D
Terry
yes ive seen damage from them i would rater rub out bugs then have to rub out the paint

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
A few years ago I bought one for the 55 with the plan to only use it when traveling on long trips. So I get this thing out of the box... and attempt to put it on.... "I figure.. how tough can this be to do?.."

What a disaster.

After wrangling with the dang thing for several minutes I finally half-way got it scrunched on to the front of the car... then I tried to make it look better by tightening up the edges etc...

That's when I did the damage to the paint. Somehow the edge of the cover caught the edge of the paint on the hood corner down near the hood bar.. and I actually pulled a small chunk of paint off the car. I stood there and just glared at it... feeling sick with waves of anger towards all mankind, I calmly pulled the cover back off the car.. and put it back in it's original box. Good thing my supplier was cool.. he gave me a full refund. The moral of the story is, I did more damage (it's been fixed) that day to my hood that any bug or rock has ever done before or since..

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am going without one. I have seen paint damage from there use also, and I would rather deal with the decline of the bug population on the front of my car than having to keep taking it in for paint work. My .02

Ed :cool:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I saw something at a Classic Chevy convention several years ago that protected the whole front of the 57 that it was on without touching the paint. It was made from two full width flat aluminum frames bolted together with what looked like window screen stretched across between the frames. It was mounted approx. 2" in front of the bumper and was attached to the bumper and the hood bar so that it could be removed easily when needed. I don't know if the owner made it or if it was/is available commercially but it looked like the answer. Anybody else ever seen anything like that or know where to get one?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I used one on my 56 several years ago on a 500 mile trip. It left paint abrasions at the edges, they rubbed out o.k. but I have'nt used it since. anybody wanna buy a bra for a 56?. Dave

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
My exact..

I am going without one. I hae seen paint damage from there use also, and I would rather deal with the decline of the bug population on the front of my car than having to keep taking it in for paint work. My .02

Ed :cool:
thots.. Had 1 for the 57. Saw what it did to a bud's car. It's still floating around here, in the original pkge as I recall.
What we found was, that driving in the rain, the water washes the fine road trash under the bra.. Paint is history, after a few 100 miles.:eek:My cars are for driving.. Road rash is one of the expenses involved....:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
About the only reason I use a bra anymore is to help keep the hood tight at highway speeds. Other than that, here buggy buggy buggy...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.