Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so once I strip my doors off I'll be ready to lift my body off! A couple of questions before I start this!

1. I'm thinking of leaving the body on the frame while I weld the new outter rocker panels, and the new dog legs! Good idea??

2. What size metal is everyone using to brace the body from tweaking outta shape?

Any ideas and thought are as always helpful! Thanks gang!

Mike:stupido2:

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Hey guys so once I strip my doors off I'll be ready to lift my body off! A couple of questions before I start this!

1. I'm thinking of leaving the body on the frame while I weld the new outter rocker panels, and the new dog legs! Good idea??

2. What size metal is everyone using to brace the body from tweaking outta shape?

Any ideas and thought are as always helpful! Thanks gang!

Mike

Interesting question Mike. I have seen just about everything from 1 ½”x1 ½”x1/8” angle to huge amounts of very large square tubing used for this process. Do not get me wrong, using what you have at home or find in the back alley works for me too, but some was a bit overboard. I have a set of X Braces in the doors of the 55 we are now doing and an X Brace from the lower area of the A Pillar back up to the rear of the door jamb at the B Pillar. Also I have an X Brace top to bottom just behind the B Pillar. All from 1 ½” x 1/8” angle from Lowes. Look at the pics in http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23342716 and http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23012711

Something I might offer here. Consider obtaining your new body mounts and installing them along with aligning the doors and drilling the 1/8” reference holes in the hinges prior to this. Just food for thought. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying you have to do it this way, just suggesting that if the body sitting on the frame is in alignment, doors and all, you may experience a more pleasurable re-assembly.

JMHO and 2¢

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have seen so many different sizes and types used for bracing as well! Thanks for your input!

Good idea I think I will take your advice! I actually didnt think of that! Great pictures by the way! I may have to use sone as a reference photo! Great work!!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I used 1 inch black pipe on a friends convertable. I think it was cheaper than angle iron at Home Depot. I made plates to bolt to the hinge and striker mounts, bolted the plates on, then cut the pipe and welded it to the plates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts