Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the floor and trunk floor in my BA. It's a 4 door post. What do you guys use most to brace the body before removing the old floor and braces? square tube ? angle iron? size?
I have a scrap iron dealer close by and hope I can find used/scrap iron for this.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
LOTS of opinions on how, what, where, how much in previous posts/threads.
A search will show most of them....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Anything that you can lay your hands too. I used scrap I had lying around, And I didn't get real picky about tacking it in, it just has to hold while the floor is out and while your off the frame if you plan to use a rotisserie, I'd do the whole floor lifted up off the frame as others here have posted.

I did not end up doing the whole floor, but did brace it when I put the body on the rotisserie.

Gil
Having trouble loading pics right now... sorry

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I use Angle Iron. 1 1/2x1 1/2 seems to do well. Square will work.

I made these for the doors.

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a pretty good idea on how to brace it but was wondering if one was preferred over the other. the scrap dealer sells it by the pound so it doesn't matter wich way I go.
On other queation, when I go about replacing the trunk floor. I plan on remounting the lid to make sure everything lines up with that and then brace the quarters at the opening so when I remove the tail pan and floor I can replace them at the same time. Is just cross bracing good enough to prevent anything from shifting?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Big Dave, I did/am doing what you are planning. I replaced the floor and trunk pans at the same time. The tail pan is also out. The only bracing I did was from front to back on each side with a 1' X 1" angle from wheel well to kick panel brace, and a piece of same tying the two together. My only concern was that when I cut the floor out, the roof might buckle - either way. I didn't want to brace it rigid and find out the pans were off 1/8" and couldn't 'massage' it. I didn't weld it in yet, as I'm replacing the rockers and toe boards now. The original rockers were long gone, and the covers over them were shot too. I'm using 56-7 rockers since they don't make 55 4 door rockers. It's turning out to be quite a project!

If you click on the link in my sig, you can see a couple pics of what I did. Good luck!

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm planning on the trunk floor first. Kind of a warm up for the main floor. My trunk area isn't that bad but I have pin holes through out the trunk floor or I would have just needed the 10" panel. wheel wells are good too. Ii just think I need to brace accross the back end while I have the old tail out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts