Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '55 2dr sedan.Converting to four wheel discs. Adapter brackets space the power booster away from the firewall. The boot on the booster isn't long enough to extent into the firewall opening. How do I seal the firewall hole where the brake pushrod goes thru and attaches to the brake pedal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
50,519 Posts
My booster came from CPP and didn`t come with a sleeve/boot at all. Didn`t even think about or realize it until after the install. To seal mine off i`ll have to pull it back loose and reinstall it again.
Terry

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake booster / firewall seal

I didn't buy a complete installation. I've picked up bits & pieces as I could. I copied the adapter brackets and made my own. The booster is a 7" dual diaphragm. If I remember correctly, the front calipers are from mid size Gm's. The rear-end is mid to late 80's Camero with disc / parking brake calipers.

I see Speedway has an adapter especially for Tri-five Chevy's to mount the booster to the firewall and it looks like they have some sort of a seal between the booster & firewall.

Regards

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
My setup came with this silly plastic thing that is supposed to be the seal.

It's too narrow to allow the rubber bellows to work like it is supposed to. It fits too tight.

This is what I am thinking to do: I've got a piece of 2 1/2" exhaust pipe that I've made just a little egg shaped so it will fit between the brackets but is still large enough to go around the rubber bellows without restricting it's movement.

Now all I have to do is cut the end of the pipe off at the correct angle and make some sort of a rubber gasket to allow it to make a good seal at the firewall. With the pipe painted black, I think it would look OK.

Do you think this is a decent idea? Or, anyone see any problems with doing this?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
My MPB booster has a rubber grommet that fits in the firewall hole...
Maybe, take a look on their site. They may sell them.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Thats a really good idea! It should work and look good too:tu
Thanks.

After further thought, I think I will weld a flange to the angled end of the pipe so it would fit flat to the firewall and just use a little silicone sealer to seal it there.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Here is the pipe cut and with the flange welded on:

On the car:

From inside:

I also blasted the pipe so it is ready to be painted black. I think I'll like this a lot better than using that cheap looking nylon thing that came with the kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.