Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday, I spent hours beating on one of my rear brake drums trying to get it off. I used about a half a can of WD40 and even used a bolt to pound on the back of the drum doing no good. I tried prying and pounding for a long time, but it would not budge. I happened to read a tip online by a guy saying he had one stuck and he poured some soapy water on it and in 5 minutes with hardly doing anything, it popped off. I thought I don't know about that. Later I went back out to pound on it again and on the way out asked my wife if she could bring me a cup of soapy water which she did. I poured it on and within 10 minutes it came off! Who would have thought? Today, I had the brakes off and couldn't get one of the adjusters to turn. I sprayed some WD40 and couldn't get it. My wife said, maybe you should try soapy water. So I poured some on and guess what? It broke free first try! Don't know if they were both flukes, but I'm not going to complain!

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Last Saturday, I spent hours beating on one of my rear brake drums trying to get it off. I used about a half a can of WD40 and even used a bolt to pound on the back of the drum doing no good. I tried prying and pounding for a long time, but it would not budge. I happened to read a tip online by a guy saying he had one stuck and he poured some soapy water on it and in 5 minutes with hardly doing anything, it popped off. I thought I don't know about that. Later I went back out to pound on it again and on the way out asked my wife if she could bring me a cup of soapy water which she did. I poured it on and within 10 minutes it came off! Who would have thought? Today, I had the brakes off and couldn't get one of the adjusters to turn. I sprayed some WD40 and couldn't get it. My wife said, maybe you should try soapy water. So I poured some on and guess what? It broke free first try! Don't know if they were both flukes, but I'm not going to complain!
hum
soapy water ? learned something again :tu

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
New one on me too.. but i think i will log that one for the future. I have a 56 drum in need of a attitude adjustment " MY HAND IS STILL SORE " besides it needs a bath any way.

68,758 Posts
thanks for tip. :five: drum off and clean hands at the same time, can't beat that. :cool:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Should work for shoes that are rusted onto the drum. The worst problem is when you have a worn drum with a big lip and the brake adjuster is also frozen and will not turn. I ended up breaking up the drum with a hammer to get it off. First time I ever had to do that.

Gary

·
Registered
488 Posts
soap is amazing i was once with someone and they got a hole in their gas tank from something from the road, i remember hearing about how soap could help stop leaks so we tried it and it sure did the trick. now i carry a bar with me all the time.
i know you think i am going to say something as a pun , but i will keep it clean .

·
3,279 Posts
How in the world did you break it???? Did you use some kind of air chisel or something?
I used a BIG hammer Its cast iron and brittle so it breaks easier than you would think

·
Registered
8 Posts
what about front drums/also spindle question

o.k, I have done front drums years ago on my chevelle, this one will NOT come off! I grinded a metal looking rivet off and still could not get it.I used a brake wrench also,still tight..should I try the soap trick..I also used a whole bottle of wd-40, and if anyone has some front brake lines they would like to sell please let me know(metal from side to side), I bought some off e-bay and they were a joke, I really want to use gm parts on it..but if I keep wrestling with this thing i'll try to find some disc brakes for the front,or is this the best thing to do anyway? I was told that gm non metric rotors would fit the drum spindle, is this true? thanks alot, Chuck

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The original brake drums are rivited to the hub with a number of rivits. You can pull the hub off with the bearings and then drill or grind the rivits out if you want to. They don't need to be rivited, that's just the way they did it then.

·
3,279 Posts
o.k, I have done front drums years ago on my chevelle, this one will NOT come off! I grinded a metal looking rivet off and still could not get it.I used a brake wrench also,still tight..should I try the soap trick..I also used a whole bottle of wd-40, and if anyone has some front brake lines they would like to sell please let me know(metal from side to side), I bought some off e-bay and they were a joke, I really want to use gm parts on it..but if I keep wrestling with this thing i'll try to find some disc brakes for the front,or is this the best thing to do anyway? I was told that gm non metric rotors would fit the drum spindle, is this true? thanks alot, Chuck
Chuck, Did you back off the adjuster, so the brake shoes clear the lip on the drum?
Is the brake adjuster frozen or will it move?
As far as the brake lines go, I just make them out of 1/4 inch bundy tubing to match the old lines. (3/16 on the small lines) I don't think you can buy gm made lines anymore. Danchuck and the others sell made up lines if you want to go that way. They make disc brake kits for the stock spindles, if thats the route you want to go, but I personally don't think drum brakes are as bad as alot of people on here. I drove 100's of thousand miles on them.
Gary

·
Registered
391 Posts
Big Gear Puller Works Too!!!

My Dad picked me up a beautiful big set of Snap-On gear pullers at a farm auction for $45.00, Last time I ever fought with a brake drum!!!

I would have NEVER justified spending $600.00+ for such a tool, but sure nice to have as a gift.

Just soak everything down with WD-40 and wind on that thing.

Something will eventually give, I have broken off the shoe mount nails more than once, might not be the best for drums you want to save but sure beats smashing them off with a hammer.

Garry

·
Registered
552 Posts
I will try your soapy water suggestion. I am down to my last wheel and just can not get the drum off (front passenger). The drum rotates freely but just will not release. I have heated it with two MAPP torches, no luck. I chisled off the shoe pins hoping to remove the shoes with the drum.....no luck. I heated it up and banged on it with a 4# hammer and then tried to pull it....no luck. I finally decided that I have to get it off even if I destroy the drum (all of the insides will be replaced). I cut a relief across the top of the drum with my highspeed (except for a small piece that goes under the backing plate) heated it again, banged in it and tried to pry it off.......still no luck.
Would it cause any problems if I take my highspeed and continue cutting a relief across the top of the drum? To do this I will have to cut a small (maybe 1/4" deep by the width of the cutter) piece of the backing plate.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Tried the soapy water, but no help. Giving up for the night and will try again tomorrow after I install the new master cylinder.

·
3,279 Posts
I will try your soapy water suggestion. I am down to my last wheel and just can not get the drum off (front passenger). The drum rotates freely but just will not release. I have heated it with two MAPP torches, no luck. I chisled off the shoe pins hoping to remove the shoes with the drum.....no luck. I heated it up and banged on it with a 4# hammer and then tried to pull it....no luck. I finally decided that I have to get it off even if I destroy the drum (all of the insides will be replaced). I cut a relief across the top of the drum with my highspeed (except for a small piece that goes under the backing plate) heated it again, banged in it and tried to pry it off.......still no luck.
Would it cause any problems if I take my highspeed and continue cutting a relief across the top of the drum? To do this I will have to cut a small (maybe 1/4" deep by the width of the cutter) piece of the backing plate.
Any other suggestions?
Rue,

I had one that I couldn't get off and the adjuster was rusted solid. I ended up just breaking the drum with a 10# Hammer. Just took a couple whacks and the drum shattered. (Cast iron)

·
Registered
586 Posts
56bowtie,
How were you hitting the drum? Were the hammer blows hitting the outside front edge of the drum with the blows directed towards the center of the axle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts